Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was doin a little wheelin this past weekend and after my 2 hour or so ride, i noticed i had gained more than i bargined for in miles i started with 106K and ended with 185K now i no i couldn't have put that many miles and it seems when i drive it adds miles quicker than it should, its a factory 88 wrangler Laredo, does anyone know how to turn theses miles back? or how to fix the odometer?
thanks
MIkey

(\/)ikey

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Let me get this right ......in TWO hours you clocked 79,000 miles on your odo? ......boy you sure did some mean wheel spinin' on that trip! Just for fun.......have you driven a measured mile and checked it against the odo? .....and what's your speedo doing while this is going on? .....I thought that they were driven by the same output ....either mechanical or electronic.
GeeAea

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Is it possible that the row of numbered drums is sticky and they are all turning as a unit instead of waiting for the little pecker to hit once every round?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this happened to me with a chevy one time.....it would not count and all of a sudden it jumped 20,000 miles or so! does it really matter?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
whatever you do, it will be highly illegal. They will put you under the jail for this. So either live with it or replace the speedometer with one with lower mileage but then you must claim on resale that the speedometer been change and that the actual mile are wrong. It does not matter if your are honest or not. It is a crime to mess with the odometer.

brownbagg </font color=red>

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
That depends ...... usually most speedo laws in most states ...... include a "with intent to commit fraud" type thingie attached to them ......like "to depict mileage other than the actual" and such. If he sells it with a "mileage unknown" (as we can here in PA) .....he can have a broken/disconnected odometer ......just as long as he discloses it.
Go to a speedo shop and have them fix it ...... pull a recent inspection or repair reciepts and show the mileage at that date ...... and talk to them on how to straighten it out. ......if nothing else you can show the mileage discrepency and the repair/inspection mileage and the speedo shop date while your tap dancing around the topic with the furture owner ......IF YOU EVER SELL IT.
GeeAea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.