Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. guys, next cooling issue. I have the 3 core radiator (88 XJ 4.0) and - after some imput from you guys - decided against moving the transmission cooler. I was wondering about getting an auxilary fan with the 3 core. I have AC so I would make it a pusher fan and set it on the driver's side of teh radiator. Do you think this is overkill with a 3 core?
Thanks
GAB

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am running stock mechanical and electric with functional AC, and additional tranny cooler.
I read that a 96 or later electric Jeep fan is more effective with the additional blades, but I have not gone looking for one.
I ran more than 1000 miles (To Ohio and back) in 90°+ temps at over 80mph with the AC on and 4 total adults inside last summer without missing a beat.
My experience.

Steve

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
After you put in that 3 core if you still have overheating problems then there is another more serious problem. The addition of another fan would be overkill and additional strain on the electrical system that could be better utilized elsewhere as far as my opinion goes.

Are you pulling 8000lbs up a 25 degreee grade both ways in the blazing sun while running the AC on full blast with the windows down and singing "When You're Hot You're Hot" or something?

G

·
Aaaaaaah, stump I see the fun has returned.
Sounds like dude may need to check belt tension, thermostat, possibly do a flush- not for the radiator, but rather the block, perhaps the water pump impeller has no vanes?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I do tow a trailer, expecially in the Fall, it has never over heated. I suspect it is just the standard warm running nature of the 4.0. I might be psycho about this,but I hate an engine that runs hot. I know it will kill an engine. Heck, by taking care of what I have, I have been able to get at least 200,000 miles out of my engines. Omy my 77 Ford F150 and 89 Volvo 240, cooling is not an issue at all. I know the water pump is good because I changed it out. I flushed it at the same time. My main concern was seeing if I should do this at this time. I guess I will hold off. If I did need one, I would just have to put my foot down and check with my wife to see if I could buy one.

GAB

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
make some hood vents it will help release all the hot air under the hood

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
What temp is running at and by what means are you measuring it? 220 is normal operating temp with a 195 stat. I,'m at 200k going strong and run 220 all day long

·
Registered
227 Posts
my guage says 210° with the proper 195° thermostat, I believe it reads high though - more like 205°, and the needle stays solid all day long at highway speed with AC on MAX in 95° weather. Even comming down off the freeway to sit still at a long light it will move slightly (about +5° at the most), but still nothing to worry about.

Steve

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The idea on hood vents sounds interesting. Out of curiosity, how do you incorporate them. as far as temperature, it is more a concern when at a stop. It seems to creep up to around 225. On hot days, with AC it will run down the road at about 220.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
get a new lower temp thermostat and do a search for the hood vents, theres some good threads that will help you better than just me

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Lowering the operating temp (from an otherwise healthy running engine) might cause the computer to think the engine is still warming up. With the result of a richer and less efficient running engine and other bad effects.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.