Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A-Hem, So, My '89YJ has no (0) emmisions "stuff".
If there is emmisions stuff, it doesn't do anything.

So, Question about the EGR.
Can it cause me to stall at idle? When the engine is cold, it stalls at idle, when the engine is warm, it runs 100% perfect. I know how to use a choke, and I do, but it still stalls. (Kinda cold here. -8 deg. celcius)

Should I remove and plug the EGR tube? The CTO valve is "no-longer". and the EGR vlave isn't hooked up to anything.

Question #2 is about the Exhaust routing.
What's up with it.
Right now my exhaust is fairly new, but when it gets ripped off, or rusts to peices, should it exit out the passanger side rear?
Why not drivers side? Then it wouldn't have to go under the tranny.
It could run straight back from the manifold, between the frame rail and xfercase/driveshafts, then it would go over the axle and out the drivers side rear. It would be the same except it wouldn't have to rub on the front drive shaft, and go under the tranny?

Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
535 Posts
EGR will lower engine temperature, but the "adverse effect" is that it lowers the temperature by sacrificing power. It injects burnt gas, which is inert, and can't combust as well since the oxygen has already been burned. EGR is one of the systems that I do not have hooked up on my 258.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And how exactly do I go about removing/breaking it?

Should I just take it off and throw some hex bolts in the holes?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
In lowering exhaust temps, EGR valve also lowers emission of NOx gas. I had to have mine functioning to make it through the emissions test here in MA.

Lower motor temps, lower emissions.. sounds like a win/win. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

If you don't have it connected now, it should default to not doing anything anyway,and should stay sealed all the time. A vacuum source opens it up. With no vac it stays shut.

Pete

88YJ, 90 Honda CRX, 79 F250 4WD, 70 Jaguar E-type, car trailer, camper, sailboat... Toys./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
inferno, did you find out why it was stalling at idle when its cold,mine is doing the same thing and its bugging the sh#t out of me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts