Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my stock cracked manifolds and rusty dual
exhaust with Headman headers and I'm wondering what you guys
think would be a good way to complete the job. :) is it ever loud now with the open headers :)

I've read some of the other related posts and see that most people don't recomend big 3" pipes if your going dual.

I am planning on dual pipes, no H pipe (that's how its currently setup) and mufflers only, no cats. The motor is slightly higher compression with a riser and open filter.
Previous owner said it was "chipped".

What size pipes should I run and what kind of mufflers. I'm looking for a nice sound but not loud and I definitly don't want it to drone at highway speeds since the truck is usually used for towing.

Thank in advance.

· Registered
949 Posts
I would say from personal experience (I just recently went through this deal myself) to go with 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch (no bigger than 2 1/2) pipes with a decent set of mufflers. I bought Summit's performance mufflers (they were like $15 a piece) and am really pleased with them. For once I bought the less expensive product and didn't pay more in the long run/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif! As far as sound goes, they have a nice rumble to them but they aren't too loud and on the highway I don't even hear the exhaust over my tires... Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

'78 Chevy Blazer w/300hp Goodwrench 350, SM465, NP205 T-case.
'61 Willys Utility Wagon w/Chevy 350, TH350 ,NP203 T-case, and a broken Ford 9" /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! $15 for mufflers, that's great. Where can I get them?
Also what kind of price should I expect for Stanless or Regular 2 1/4 tubing?

· Registered
949 Posts
I bought all my exhaust stuff from Summit. Their website is http://summitracing.com/. I bought Hedman Headers, the summit mufflers and a Hooker exhaust kit (designed for Chevy trucks with side exits both side). All together it was around $260 delivered to my door. They have really good customer service and their techs are very good (a refreshing change /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif). The pipes are mandrel bent but not stainless... Hope all this helps.

'78 Chevy Blazer w/300hp Goodwrench 350, SM465, NP205 T-case.
'61 Willys Utility Wagon w/Chevy 350, TH350 ,NP203 T-case, and a broken Ford 9" /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recommend installing a H-pipe it will give you a little more power.

My truck ain't leaking oil it's marking it's territory!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.