Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went down to the local parts place after finding out that they do infact have both exhaust turn downs, and exhaust pieces... (would have been REAL helpfull if they had known what they had in the back 2 years ago)

So I measured and figured out what angles I would need to run a 2 into 1 for the SBC in my YJ.. go to the back.. choose out all the peices.. about 8-10 in total...

Go to the front, give the guy some part numers and ask for some prices.. and the first three come up $44, $45, $76..

My jaw just dropped... literally.. I had to pick it up off the counter.. and that was the price for regular steel peices.. no fancy alum, galvanised, or stainless... and that was for a 90deg bend, a 24" straight pipe, and a header-into-straight flange..

I honestly have no idea what to do now.. this was supposed to be the cheap route..

Right now im kind of tempted to weld the mufflers straight to the collectors and call it a day..

My last 2 options are to go get 20 feet of thin wall tube, and just cut it at angles and weld it together.. or see if I can borrow a $100 bender and some thin wall pipe to bend it up..

Anyone had any luck with bending up an exhaust on a HF bender? what thickness wall did you use?

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I'd bet if you went to a small independant exhaust guy - He'd have some scrap pieces of "already bent but wrong" stuff laying around - for free or cheap. Then you just weld it up.

Or, if you knew what you want he could use a new piece and bend it to your specs.

The chain stores like Midas will rape you.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just actually called the local bending place again... i've been trying to pry a quote out of him for months now without having to drive there (45 min away) just to be told $500..

So I asked him what a plain jane YJ exhaust would be... figuring my one will be about 2x as much because its a custom job..

cat back is $70.. I was laughing.. till he said manifold back to cat will be $210.

I nearly hung up the phone on him..

He said the pipe is $8 a foot, and the bends are $15 a peice.

This is SO frustrating.. for months now I've been trying to foget about it.. then getting all psyched up that im actually going to do it.. and then I try and get sorely dissapointed.

ARGH

I doubt he has any scrap peices either.. I remember going in there about 18 months ago and the shop is cleaner then my kitchen.. I'll call him up and see though.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
they save scrap so they have stuff to make use on there own screwed up projects. they will not just give it away if it has any use at all

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Must be the locations.
I've had to do that several times in the past. Each time I went in and asked. They point to a scrap pile, barrel, box or whatever full of odds and ends. They let me "take my pick." Then when I found a couple "treasures," they usually said "have fun" or maybe $5 for my selections.

Maybe a different shop without a attitude problem?

The pipe itself is just thinwall - usually pipe sizes. A steel yard would have it. I noticed Kragen and Autozone sell bends and such - not expensive. It shouldn't take all that many bends.

Tip = a few times I was doing my own but they were going to be complicated. I used a hunk of flex pipe, bending it as needed. Once it was in place and the way I wanted it, I sprayed it down with water several times. It rusted enough to hold it's shape. Then I took it off to have it duplicated. Simple, easy, not expensive. Flex pipe isn't good to use for exhaust - it leaks, but it works great for modelling.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I know your budget from reading past posts... it seems to be very similar to mine. I wish I had a tubing bender..let's just leave it at that. When it was time to do my dual exhaust I shopped around town and also dug through the odds and ends at the parts stores.

When it came down to it, I went with a very reputable exhaust, alignment, general all-around shop. I paid $245.00 for the setup, 10-20% above the norm. What I got was thicker than average wall tubing, professional bends with as many hangers as I wanted, and clamped and tacked connections. They used what the owner called "mini turbos" which sounded great.

I trashed both my mufflers when the rear driveshaft let go. He offered to warranty the one that wasn't totally ripped open. I paid for both replacements and changed them out myself. (By the way this is way easier if it's done right the first time) This summer the baffles started to loosen in both mufflers. He said he has never had any problems but instead of shrugging his shoulders HE suggested that he warranty both and install the next size bigger and better. He did charge me $25.00 labor because they had rework some of the original system.

My point is, IMHO there are some areas that seem to cause repeated headaches and hassels if you don't take the time and $$ to do them correctly the first time. Exhaust is one. I've seen your work and have faith that you could fab together a system that would function well, but maybe it's time to seek out that one good neigborhood shop and pry the plastic from the depths of the forbidden pocket within your wallet to fund the work. Maybe just this once. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taz I hate you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

WHY can't it ever be cheap near my town?

Sometimes I really really wish I lived in the states.

I don't see why it has to be so rediculously expensive here, it would probably almost be worth shipping it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm gonna go see about the odds and ends at the "local" place.. if it comes down to getting it done, I'm gonna have to pass and wait till i make some more money, rebuilding the trans was this summers big project, and the driveshaft shorten just doubled in cost because the tube looked like a waveform when it got put on the lathe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Taz I hate you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

WHY can't it ever be cheap near my town?

Sometimes I really really wish I lived in the states.

I don't see why it has to be so rediculously expensive here, it would probably almost be worth shipping it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Got this from them last night.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Ok... a couple of basic questions....

Is it possible to order some sort of factory "Y PIPE" to fit you SBC?

Does the YJ exhaust come out on the "correct" side of the jeep?

I mean, can you get the stock pipes, catback, muffler, and tailpipe, and then just have the muffler shop connect the "Y PIPE" to the factory pipes?

I was going to do this on my 5.0 Ford motor (in a CJ), but the starter location and front driveshaft conspired to put an end to that.

I ended up finding a place to put duals on my Jeep. Most of them freaked out once they saw the oxygen sensors. Luckily I put the original duals on in South Carolina where the laws are a bit more easier to work with. Up here in Ohio, all the muffler shops seem scared. It was a tough time just finding somebody to replace the mufflers and tail pipes....

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
On a side note...... is there NOBODY on this bbs that does exhaust?

I mean, I watch those guys in the muffler shop. It always seems to be busy. The work doesn't look EASY, but it's limited. They aren't doing engine swaps or anything. Mostly factory replacement. Seems like a good business to get into. Exhaust, brakes, that's it.

Although it does seem pretty cut throat. I know I shopped around plenty before settling on the shop I used.

How hard are those bender to use? I might have to open a shop......

.....yeah.... riiiiiight!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I Have just about compleated my exhaust system on my SBC Jeep. I got it all tack welded together this weekend.

Befor I started I got some quotes from some local places to do a system from the headers back. Because I have NO room on the pasangers side, I went with a 3" pipe run down the drivers side. The quotes I got were in the 5-6 hundred range. FORGET THAT

SO what I did was ordered one 4' section of exhaust pipe, and a U bend, and got to cutting fitting and welding. It was a pretty good learning experence for me, and I am very happy with how it came out !

I have about $175 in material (that includes a 3" Flowmaster) and about a weekend and a half. I got the exhaust pipe from summit racing. Good stuff.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
sure is nice to have a neighbor that manages the local Meineke... and goes wheeling! he's been buggin me to buy my CJ for a couple years now. I told him no, but I would let him do the tail pipes on it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$60 for two tail pipes after doing my SOA. that's Materials, Bends, Installation.... and he let me borrow his Bronco to do some running around while he worked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts