Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could a catalytic converter going bad cause my floorboard near the shifter to get roasting hot?
Anything else? 4.0L, AX15
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Very definitely/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
are you new to jeeps? the front floor is always hot.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would definately check the top of the catalytic convertor and exhaust tube in that vicinity for a leak. We found a 2" hole on my bro-in-laws jeep on top of the convertor that was roasting his feet.
Shain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
watch for rust, too. i pulled back the carpet last fall and found a big hole in the floorboard directly above the catalytic converter. i guess the heat from the converter and the moisture trapped in the carpet is a bad combination.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My '79 was leaned out(little boys playing at gas station), front pipe glowed at night, cat. conv. ran hot, skid plate/trans/xfer case mount rusted through in several spots from the inside. Poor Jeep would also back fire when shut off. Embaressed wife, not me.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
sometimes those worthless heat shields will fall right off and you'll never know.. see if it's there

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my '84 cj-7's floorpan got roasty red hot one august morning.. when I finally decided it was getting unbearable the "newly rebuilt" t-5 tranny went "zing" and blew up. turns out the rebuilder (Jerry/formerly Palmerton 4wd in PA, long since operating out of his barn and misinforming his clients) didn't fill it with the "motorcraft auto tranny fluid I ("he" in this case, I'm paraphrasing here) put in ALL MY REBUILDS". Well, after working and wrenching all summer to get my jeep going, i was left on the side of the road with a $500 boat anchor. Palmerton Jerry didn't honor his warranty, or accept any blame for leaving the box bone dry, and i didn't get to "get to" school in my jeeper. Jerry, i still hate you.
thanks folks, this has been very therapeutic, and keep an eye on those fluid levels, especially if your floorpans are getting toasty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts