Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the 2 studs that connect my pipes to the manifold decided to strip and i dont have
a clue what to do? Should i rethread it? (if there is such a kit) Or pull the manifold off and
try to get it out? What would i need for this? Any suggestions...? This is my only mode of
transportaion and I need to get it fixed fast...
Dustin

JeepChild

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
can leave it like it is till you get time to pull off the manifold.. if you cant get on it with it on. i would use several methods.. lets see. smaller nut and force it on.. maybe after some rethreading then chisel the threads,or double nut it.. or spot weld it on.. so you could then take it out. vice grips with alot of wd 40.... some huge channel locks..
anything else creative?

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
itll come out, soak it with goo dpenetrating oil, use a stud extractor or some GOOD vice grips...

briong it over to me, Ill weld a huge t handle on it and itll twist right out...

which side do you need? Ive got a spare set of factory exhausts, one side is cracked, one is still good...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Is it only stripped up where the nut is? Is there good thread down at the bottom of the stud? Maybe break off the nut and put on a new nut with a bunch of washers to use the good part of the thread?

Just a thought
Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My 79 had the fwd. one tapped to the next size larger metric stud. Worked just fine. Put on tall brass nuts so next pipe change it will be real easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always taken them out with heating the mainifold with a torch and they come right out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just adding,the tall brass nut and replacement studs can be bought at auto parts stores as a kit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is what I did...I had to pull the manifold off and drill out the broken stud, then I put in an expanding sleve thing(I forget the exact name but they're only like $.50) and tapped the hole to fit the old stud size. Took about 1 hr total.
-Mark

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.