Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Can't find what i'm looking for, a cj8 frame. It costs aprox $2350us to buy a new one, so i'm thinking that I might want to try and build one. I have my own work shop, so please don't tell me I can't do this in my driveway because I know that... What i'm looking for is blue prints or some sort of manual for the specs and such. Is there such a thing available to comman people or do I have to break into matkins or something like that:)
Any info to point me in the right direction would be great.
thanks

coot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm sorry I can't point you in the right direction for the blueprints...but do you currently have a thrashed CJ8 frame? Can't you make your own plans by looking at it? I'd bet you could find a junked/rusty frame for free/cheap and use it for your model...you might even find a frame with some useable parts attached (spring hangers, crossmembers, etc.)

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would extending a CJ7 frame work, that is, making a cut in the center section and welding in square tubing and supports for it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we used to build tube frames for our dirt car. it is not that hard. what you want to do is take and make a drawing of your old frame and pattern your new one after it. you dont need a jig as long as you measure often and take your time to ensure everything is square.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I've built some frames, nothing with four leaf springs though. As long as you keep those eight points
right and don't let it flex too much, it shouldn't be much problem. I do think I would consider a jig to keep
the eight points right though and I would weld the spring hangers on last.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cooter-
Go for it! I've figured out that I couldn't possibly rebuild the body on my YJ but the frame is a doable deal. I once built from scratch a complete buggy frame. It was straight and steady at 125 MPH and was rigid and tough and went very fast and delivered myself and passengers through pure hell (road surfacewise) for seven years. (The sheer fun factor was off the scale as far as I'm concerned.) I'm talking full space frame, round tubes, triangulated and everything. It was really pretty sophisticated and at about the 6 year point sustained a severe endo at speed (actually a double endo) and saved the lives of my son and I. It was severly damaged but was repaired and returned to service. My point here is not to ring my own bell but to say that if you have fabrication experience, then do it. Follow the advice of the earlier posters about methodology and approach with the idea that you will do it and DO IT! You will have a bunch of money in it but not as much as someone else's labor would be.
JMTCW
sln

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.