Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the replies, but no one really answered my question so I will be really specific. I am going to rebuild my engine and want more power. The upgrades that I think would work the best for me would be a better cam, and exhaust. The cam I am looking at has 204/216 degrees duration with about .450" lift. The header would be the only one that I could find that has the emissions which is a summit header. I have been told that the stock computer doesn't respond well to upgrades. Does anyone know if these upgrades would work OK on the stock computer. If not, what upgrades do work well with the computer. I have heard that switching to mass air works, but this is a $1000 plus upgrade. Would it be cheaper and easier to just have a new chip burned to my specs and keep the current EFI. Has anyone had a new chip burn't and how did it workout. FYI I will use my truck 80% road, 20% trails, with very light towing, under 2000lbs. Also, how does the cam sound, and do you think new valve springs would be in order. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Check out 50tech.com.These guys soup up speed density mustangs with every thing from nitrous to blowers.Contrary to popular belief you can modify a speed density system.The biggest thing is the cam duration and lobe seperation.SD runs off of the MAP sensor wich is sensitive to vacuum.You can get buy with a high lift if you keep the duration reasonable.A 110-114 lobe seperation helps to keep the vacuum up.I would map out a plan for your engine and then call comp cams tech line.They are very helpful and can recomend a good cam for your application.A mild cam will help a little and won't require a chip.But with just a cam alone don't expect miracles.If you want to really make some grunt and can afford it aftermarket heads will make the most noticeable difference in performance.Having your stock heads ported will help.I would also recomend an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.This will let you tweak it for optimum performance and economy.

Billy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts