Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 1984 Jeep CJ7 from the ground up to serve as a everyday driver(No rock climbing for me, but maybe the occasional mudding and beach use). This CJ7 had the following from the factory: Iron Duke 4 cyl, 4-speed, dana 300 transfer case, PS and DB's. At the moment, the engine is gone, the trans and xfer case is still there, a dana 44 is in the rear(30 in front) with 3;73's in each one. Also a 4 inch suspension lift has been added. Future plans include a glass tub and tilt front end, new pre assembled wiring harness, 35' tires, shackle reverse and a engine/trans swap. I want to switch over to a V6/V8 with a 5-speed manual. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that I could take straight out of another vechile, rebuilt, and it will bolt into the Jeep with as little or no problems at all. What about the 4.0/4.2 5-speed Jeeps and Cherekee's? Would everything just bolt right up if I could fnd one? If so what years/specific vechile should I look for? I prefer a engine with fuel injection if possible, but I'm not really sure how to wire up the computer to the new wiring harness. Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Please Email me comments/suggestions as I don't check these pages everyday. Thanks

Chad
[email protected]

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Got cash?

Chevy tuned port 350 with NV4500 transmission, the ultimate. Wiring harnesses are available to make
wiring the TPI simple, books available to rework the stock harness if you want to save some money.
You should be able to do this swap for about than 4 grand, less if you do the harness yourself and
get a lucky buy or two.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats just the motor swap($4000) and tranny if you are lucky. I dont think I would go with the one piece front end, I makes for alot of work and hassle that is not needed. Keep your grill and buy glass fenders and hood. When you go with the 1 piece front end, you lose all your mounting spots for
stuff like canisters and selenoids and stuff, my .02 cents not worth it. You are undertaking a biigg project. Best of luck.

Voice of experience.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You want the easiest swap, put in it what was available. 4.2 (258) six with a T5 trans. You want FI, put a Mopar system on the 258. It will all bolt right up, and 258s are CHEAP.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I think you need to go the v6 route with the t18 behind it. yes its only a three speed with granny but with the granny you could keep up with any v8 also the final third is the same as final five so top end would not suffer. beside a t18 is real hard to tear up. with the v6 you can get the fuel injected 4.1

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Brads idea is cheaper and has less problems....one option...find a 4.0 out of a 94 or later and use that engine...not much more than the 4.2 but you get the fuel injection with it. Just make sure you get the control module that goes with it.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Hey, I didn't say my suggestion was cheap. See right there, it asks, "Got cash?" It is what I will
eventually have. I bought a 305 TPI for $700 (was supposed to be a 350, but at that price, I didn't
complain). I didn't think that it would last a year, I knew that all the TPI stuff would bolt onto a 350 crate
motor, but it keeps going and going. I've got a couple of people looking for the 6.34:1 low range
NV4500 for me. I could have the higher range now but it's too cold to change it now anyway.

Chad,
Don't let MSBEHVN talk you out of that one piece front end, best thing I ever did was get one. Yeah,
you have to be a little clever to find places to mount the stuff that could go on the inner fender, but every
time I work on mine, I'm glad I've got it. Just being able to wash down the sides of the engine at the car
wash and changing oil without getting under the Jeep are worth finding a few alternate mounting spots.
And should I do any major engine work, the whole thing lifts right off after removing two bolts and
disconnecting a wiring plug.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taz -

I changed my mind about the one-piece (not because of mounting points) but because of winch mounting. It can't tilt with a winch in place, right? Or is there a fix I don't know about? BTW, ease of engine access would be its greatest advantage to me.

John

'80 CJ7
'84 CJ7
'76 Scout
NRA Life
Join the NRA!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you had put something other than a chevy in your jeep, you wouldn't have to be workin on it all the time. Just kiddin. Your most inexpensive route I think would be a 4.0 with comp box from a donor vehicle. As for the tilt, its personal preference.

Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Yeah John, there is a fix you don't know. I'll get some pix as soon as I get my winch bumper mounted,
but for now here is the drawing I built it from.

Attachments

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Mopar360yj,

You assumed too much. The work I was referring to was polishing the intake and runners.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I would rather stick with what I know at this point. My 80 CJ7 has a 4.0 I6, very very dependable engine. Very good on power and torque, but bad on gas. What vechile could I find a 4.0/4.2 Fuel injected engine with a 5-speed manual trans that will bolt up to my 84 CJ with little or no trouble? Also what parts will I need from the donor vechile? Computer I'm sure, along with the wiring harness for it. Would wiring up a fuel injected engine be a hard job? I learned how to work on V8 engines with 4 bbl carb. I plan on getting a brand new wiring harness since mine has seen better days (any suggestions on a good aftermarket one that's easy to install). I think I will still stay with the idea of a one piece front end (for access to the engine). Also what about a glass tub? Is fiberglass the way to go? Or maybe a Kevlar unit? I want one that can withstand some punishment, yet still let me install hard doors and a full size spare (35'). Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.