Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..i have a stock 86 and i plan to keep it that way..(sorry guys) i only do light,mild off the black top use.now i plan keeping sami for a long time to come,and looking ahead when the little motor dies i would like to up grade to a stronger maybe bigger motor..what is the easiest,most economical.back yard doable motor swap (and trany if need be)but keeping 4x4 ability, i want to start preparing and saving $$.it always seems easiest,and cheapest to buy when not in need

86' stock

· Registered
1,293 Posts
A 1.6 liter 8 valve engine from a Tracker or Sidekick is probably the simplest swap since it is available in kit form and does not require the wiring modifications of the more powerful 16 valve multipoint EFI version of the 1.6. It seems like the 8 valve has a little over 80 hp (not sure) compared to 64 hp from the 1.3 liter and doesn't add any weight. The 1.6 engines are not the cheapest engines you can find though.

[email protected]

G

·
Hey just give it some lift and a little bit bigger tires. A lot of the trucks your starting to see now-a-days are just concrete runners anyway! ando it just to say,"just in-case....???" but definitely go with the 1.6"er the cheapest you can buy of a installation kit is from RRO at
HTTP://www.rocky-road.com[/url]

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs

· Registered
2,812 Posts
the 1.6s are not as expensive as you'd think. You just have to do some leg work / computer work. I can usually find motors (both 8 valve AND 16 valve) for around $500.00. But, that's after lots of hours plugging away on the 'puter. I got an entire 4 door theft recovery Tracker with 70K on it for $700.00. It has the 16V engine which I'm going to drop in the Sami with the help of a new wiring harness. The rest'll go on eBay to help recoup some initial cost.

Give it to me; I'll break it.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
I have 1.6 8valve for 450$ and 16valve for 800$. I dont reccomend other engines like the toyota 22r or rotory mazda engine because of the extent of fabrication it takes to put them in. But they are next in line for power to weight ratio.

G

·
Go with max'es offer you will not find much cheaper of a deal unless you buy a block with problems!!!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs

G

·
Got my 1.6 for $250. Extremely low miles too. Its the easiest swap when the 1.3 goe kaput but, if you dont plan to do anything special with the vehicle, leave it stock and rebuild the engine it has. When you are done with it, it will be worth more. Besides, a freshly rebuild 1.3 should be fine when the rest of the vehicle is left in stock form. Just my opinion.

ICQ# = 3859170
http://php.iupui.edu/~mrwills1/sami.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.