Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!! I just started having a problem with my Jeep running. The symptoms don't occur until engine is warm.
After a while the engine stops or runs extremely rough. Sometimes it will idle, but extremely rough. I have
noticed a smell of sulphur from the tail pipe only when the engine runs rough. Also it appears the
rear hose coming from the valve cover to the air cleaner seems to have air or exhaust blowing from the
valve cover to the air cleaner. It doesn't happen all the time, it seems to run normal after I stop and re-start the engine
for a short time.

I have put gas into the carb while this happens and it dies. I don't think it's relater to the fuel.

258-6cly. Rebuilt 30K ago Carter BBD carb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
well jon
i have had my share of problems also.
had the same smell as you describe and only when it would act up so to speak.
i still have some idle problems but is running better than ever so far.
i can't solve your problem with one easy answer.
i would like to introduce you to this site if you havn't been already.
if you have you know how informative it is. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm
make sure your choke is opening after warm-up. this was my major problem.
there is another site that i will post later on how to clean out the idle pick-up tubes if you have an idle problem. also one on re-routing the pulse air system away from the air filter as i did. if the valves in the system go bad, the pulse air system can blow exhaust backwards into your carb.
good luck and keep in touch.
steve

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
That sulphur smell usually means your cat converter is fouled.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok jon now you can click on!
i f##$$#$ up!
go to "rough idle/stalling" under the "engine" catagory of the second site.
steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had a brand new cat converter and muffler when i was having the odor along with the rough running. my problem was the choke was not opening. no hot wire to the choke! i ran a hot wire and ran great! i have heard from others though about the cat causing an odor.
steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The CAT isn't that old, I don't have the smell when it runs normal.
The Choke is wide open when this occurs, I have tried to pur gas into the
carb thinking it was a fuel prob. NO LUCK!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
You may have a bunch of mud accumulated in your exhaust pipe rearward of the cat. That happened with the 2.5 I was running before. I needed to make some modifications in the exhaust for clearance reasons. When I removed and replaced the exhaust after the muffeler I noticed a bunch of mud and debris had built up in a tight bend, with the new pipe installed, power came back to normal,Idle smoothed out, and an annoying hesitation at the low end went away. I had brought it in to a muffeler shop before hand to see if the cat was fouled and they said it was OK.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

·
Registered
573 Posts
Check for a vacuum leak around the carb. I had a similar rough running/rough (or no) idle only when the engine was hot that was traced to a cracked base of the carb. A little (actually a lot) of high temp Permatex solved the leak. Can't help with the smell, but it sounds cat- related

1 - 9 of 9 Posts