Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have some problems with my 96 Bronco 5.8 Liter engine, It doesent run smoothley and around 35Mph the car runs really bad, i`m not sure how to explain it, but when i drive it feels like someone is shaking the seat back and forth realy fast, almost like a " vibrating ' feeling.

And also, i know the Bronco is thirsty for gas, BUT !! i think mine is really heavy on the gas !! How many miles per gallon is " normal " ?

If anyone have any ideas of what it could be, id really apreciate any help/ tips.

Thank`s.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds like your timing is off. Try adjusting your base timing. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does sound like timing also check your fuel pump and pressure, how long has it been since you cleaned the injection system

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank`s for your replies and tips !
Anyhow, I got a Haynes manual and it said in that one that it could be the fuel filter, so i got a new one, but that didnt help, and how do you clean the fuel injection system ? can you do that yourself or do you need to have that done at a shop ?

I also saw a sticker under the hood that the timing wasnt adjustable on my " truck ", isn`t that strange ? what do they mean ?

I also got new spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap, still no improvement.

Anyhow, how many horse power is it in the engine and how much Torque ? it`s a 351 Windsor, i just think that the engine seems to lack in power, i mean, on flat ground it`s fine, but as soon as there is a slight uphill i have to like " step " on it quite alot to keep the speed up, and sometimes when i go on the highway around 60 - 65 Mph and there is a slight uphill, the transmission have to " kick down " to be able to keep the speed up, i know it`s a big and heavy truck, but still ! I have read so many " rewievs " on different places about the Bronco how " powerful " it is and so on, but i havent noticed that

Well, thats all for now, and again, thank`s for your replies !

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
you might have a clogged cat. i finally got all that screen and honey comb out of mine tonight and MAN its like twice the power and it sounds like a truck again! i can actually hold long interstate grades in overdrive, and this is with 3.55 gears and 35" tires. i'm doing the big hill run tomorrow to see if it will accelerate up that like it used to a long time ago... if so then i think i finally found my power zapper
the second cat is the only one i touched, the first one is still intact but i banged on it and it doesnt sound like much is in there... anybody know if that ones worth gutting? i want to clear it out as much as possible because i'm going to have a hi-flow cat and muffler put on after the stock cat pipe and dont want to have too much restriction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a dist. the base timing is adjustable. The timing advance, etc... is controled by the computer but you have to set the base for the computer. You do this by disconnecting a wire (can't remember what it is called basically it is the advance) that goes to the dist. and then set the base timing to 10 degrees BTDC. Check your Haynes manual for the procedure and to tell which wire. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts