Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 CJ7 that misses when the engine is warmed up. I have installed a Weber 32/36 carb., Jacobs Ignition system with the super coil and have disconnected most of the Emissions system. The fuel pump and filter have been replaced and it has new spark plug wires and NGK plugs. The problem is getting worse by the day. It misses going down the road at high rpm's and is really bad off idle. Sometimes I just don't know if the Jeep is going to make it across the intersection. It does not happen all the time and it seems to come in cycles. The Jeep has the stock 258 six. I took the carb apart and couldn't find any dirt or trash in it and am I wondering if this is a needle and seat or maybe a float problem. All of the aftermarket items are about six months old and I installed them myself. I am really stumped on this one and wold really apreiciate anyones help. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This will probably sound dumb, but have you checked the boots on the plug wires to make sure they are down low enough that the plugs aren't firing into the side of the head? Mine missed for a while last summer one day when I was towing a heavy trailer. I thought it had something to do with the engine being under load but turned out to be the #1 plug wire wasn't on properly. Ran fine until I got heavy on the go peddle.
Mine still seems like it's missing sometimes but only when it's wet out. I haven't figured that one out yet.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.