Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't use my 4X4 as much as I want to, but I have notice that everytime I use it gives me problems. I have read the instructions several times, but I always seem to forget the sequence. It always seems like I have to coast the truck at 5mph in neutral before I get it in 4H or 4L with my automatic transmission. Keep in mind that I have the manual shifter (stock) in the floor. Anyone has a better way of doing it?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I have a manual tranny and mine also has a hard time going into 4l sometimes. I always push my clutch in just like Im changeing gears and sometimes have to let out the clutch to get it in that sweet spot then it goes in, but youve got an auto so I dont know what to say.

It never fails, when Im turning wrenches on my truck and something can go wrong, it usaully does

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
To my mind there could opnly be 2 problems. Either the gears arent quite lined up and ned to be by moving the vehicle slightly..perhaps VERY slightly, as in just rocking it by shifting body waight. The other problem i can see would be linkage rel;ated....for that one you might need a can of premium panther piss and a buddy to work the linkage while you look at the linkages and spray em down as needed.
---Peacock

If it hasn't broken, let your girlfriend drive it...it'll break real quick

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
well you can shift into 4Hi going up to about 40 mph
(D, not OD)....all you do is pull back and wait a number of seconds for the actuator to engage. i've had no problems doing this.

the way i shift into 4Lo is this: tranny in Neutral, parking brake on, firmly move stick shift all the way up to 4Lo in one steady shift....and that's usually from 4Hi or 2Hi. i've had no trouble doing this either....no grinding or other strange noises.

Shorts <-- It's not what you think /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...and don't ask what it is

'94 Chevy K1500, with stuff...needs more stuff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there any grinding noises when you try to shift or does it just not engage right away? mine works just like shorts said - no problems here. if its grinding, try adjusting the linkage like kid said. if it just doesnt engage, that the thermal actuator at work - it takes about 5 seconds to engage the front diff

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have to shif it very firmly and in less the 5 seconds it does engage. But sometimes I hesitate a little with the shifter and then I hear grinding noises and I go back to square one. Is the linkage, the wire conection from the shifter to the transmission? Also, sometimes I get it all the way to 4L but the light does not turn on and the 4X is not working. So I have to start from square one and find the sweet spot. So I guess this is related to the linkage. I am wondering if this is hard to adjust.... maybe I need to adjust it slighly earlier...
DavidmZ71

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you hesitate when going from 2hi or 4hi to 4l, the transfer case gears start turning from going too slowly through neutral due to the auto trans. Even in neutral, the output shaft of the tranny will turn slightly (depending on temp of oil and viscosity), thus spinning the input of the transfer. Kinda like having the clutch out on a manual, rev it up then push clutch in and go straight into reverse! Unless you have a newer truck with a reverse syncro, it will grind like crazy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.