Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I need HELP!!
I just purchased my first CJ-7. I bought an 1983 with the 258 AMC. The problem I am I having is that it was purchased in Nevada and I live in California. The engine has no smog pump (I have one on order with hoses) and I am wondering the best way to get in smog checked. California has wierd smog laws so any tricks of the trade would be beneficial. Thanks

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
You might go to a smog station and explain the problem. If the guy is friendly he'll have a look and tell you what you might need. Being an out of state vehicle it may not need everything.
If he gives you a bunch of crap, or wants to charge for advice, well there's dozens around that will be helpful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about replacing the smog pump?? And a referre station for any modifications?? The last is would it be better to swap out the 4 bbl Edelbrock for a 2 bbl or place a restrictor plate for the test?? Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
If you want you could throw needless parts at it --

If you take it to a referee station all they have there is kids that instantly put it in the computer. Once it's in the computer you are screwed!
Take it to a regular smog station that you get along with the guy. Don't have him enter it so it becomes permanent record - not just yet until you know what you'll have to do.
He can do that for you, then tell you exactly what you need.

If it was an out of state vehicle, it does not have to meet Calif equipment requirements - based on what was required at that time. It will have to have the equipment that was required in Nevada, or Florida, or whereever it originally was sold - at that time! Since the requirements state to state vary so much, you may not need anything more.
Getting advice from a smog station like that shouldn't cost anything, and could sabve you lots of grief and $$$.

My smog license ran out years ago, but the basic principle is still there.

The 4bbl and manifold may have to go. A restrictor plate won't help, it's not OEM. Besides, that 4bbl is probably overkill for a 258 unless it's a very small one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
#1 rule is making a connection with the emissions tech.

Since I have a different engine than what it originally came with, I had to get a state inspection, before the emissions test. Luckily, the guy was a gear head and was into my jeep. Also, he had an emissions machine there to test for state b.s. So, while I was there getting my inspection, I explained to him that I had no idea how it was going to be on the emissions maching, and that I expected to fail my first test and making mods after that. He asked if I wanted to see where my jeep was at on the emissions machine...duh..hell yes! He hooked it up and I was way out of spec. Some readings where in the 1K plus. Quickly realizing I was getting some irradic engine performance, he popped my hood for a further look. About every fifteen seconds or so, my numbers would sky rocket. Turns out my newly needed air pump hose was causing an arc over my distributer cap and cutting two cylinders out. Well, once we lifted and tied it out of place, my numbers dropped but still on the border of passing. So what does he do...grabs his screwdriver and starts tuning in my carb. I couldn't believe it. He seemed more into it more than I was! He dialed it right in for me.

So the next day comes and I'm on my way to Jiffy Lube for an emissions check. Pull up, start flirting with the girl who's doing my emissions test. Couldn't believe it...a very cute 18something girl in a mechanics shop! Anyways..back to my story... They hooked it up, and it barely failed. Made everything but the CO reading and it was only 10pts off. So, I said to her "Can I make an adjustment really quick and take my second test, maybe it just needed a second to idle." She replied..."No, I can't see you make any adjustments to your vehicle, you'll have to come back. But, I need to go inside and check something on the computer, I'll be back in five minutes." So, w/o missing a beat, I grabbed my screwdriver and turned down my fuel by a skoash, and she came back out. Ran it again...and now I've got my stamp and finally ready for plates.

#1 rule is making a connection with the emissions tech.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts