Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i wander, but i find myself keeping Left pressure on the wheel at all times
there is about 2 inches of steering wheel play before my tires makes any noticible changes. A...........!.............B if i rock the steering wheel from AtoB when driving the wheels react quick enough, but i would like to eliminate the excessive play. i replaced the steering box last summer. any ideas fellas? thanx.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Check drag link and tie rod end wear.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not being a tried and true mechanic, how do i tell the difference between normal wear and excessive wear on the tie rod? drag link? is it in your face noticible?
thanks..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last time I had this problem, it was a worn out end on the drag link, very noticeable if you have someone turn the wheel a little
while you look at the ends under the Jeep. If you have ps, do it with the motor off.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check the steering shaft, from bottom of column to the box. Any play, up/down or side to side at either joint?? This is often the cause of wandering on CJs.
HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
All the above are good to check, you may also want to check the box itself. Alot of CJ boxes come loose over time and will move back and forth as you turn the wheel. Also check the frame at the box mounting location, this is a favorite spot for the frame to crack. A steering box brace is a good investment.

Another place to check is the U-joint in the steering shaft.

Wayne in Hawaii
"PYRO II" '77CJ5

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Swap your tires around ........that is, for the pull your experiencing. If I understand you ...you're saying that if you "let your hands off the wheel" ......the vehicle goes to the right......this should hopefully be a tire .........unless you have some wheel base or tracking differences from the left side to the right side or from front to back (you crunched the thing and your rear axle sits slightly left or right of your front ......so you have to steer left to go down the road straight)
GeeAea

·
Registered
630 Posts
You shouldn't see any play in any of the joints in your steering.If any of the tie rod ends are sloppy, replace them. Ball joints are harder to tell. Jack one side up at a time and try to move the wheel from side to side and then check for play top to bottom. It helps to put a long pry bar under the wheel and pull it up and down while looking for play in the joints.

If all else fails take it to a front end shop and ask them to check it out. If they find a problem, have them show it to you, get a price from them and then go home and fix it.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.