Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Anyone Help Me With Converting A 1975 Jeep J-10 Pick-up 258 Engine From Electronic Ignition To Point Type Distributor? I Have Had Problem After Problem With The Module Dying And With My Limited Knowledge Feel That Simplest Elimination Of Problem Is To Convert To Point Type Distributor.

Thanks!!!

· Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like the wiring wasn't hooked up right for the ignition or the coil is the wrong resistance.
Points system works like this:
Dist with points (properly gapped) and condenser (functioning. If they go bad, the spark gets weak and yellow) has 1 wire to the negative side of the coil (I ran a '70's Mopar electronic ignition coil with mine)

+ side of the coil gets resistored power (if yours shows 12vdc, then it's not resistored and you will need the ignition coil resistor from a '70 Dodge as well)

On the solenoid there are 2 big wires (battery cable and cable to the starter) there are also 2 little wires (or you will need a Ford type solenoid that does have them) One is marked S (for start) that gets power when you turn the key to start (some have another wire on the backside that gets grounded in neutral or park on automatics)
The other terminal marked "I" gets hooked up to the + on the coil, bypassing the resistor. It only gets power when your motor is cranking and gives the coil full power while cranking (or you will have trouble starting from the voltage drop)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.