Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went today and looked at a replacement for my current POS 304. It looks to have been rebuilt very recently, but further examination/testing will need to be done yet (before I lay out the $$). Currently, I have a points/condenser ignition and need some info on the later model electonic type.
The replacement has a new electronic distributor, coil, brass terminal cap/rotor, and 8mm wires. The owner yanked it (complete engine) from the Jeep shortly before starting a frame off. The dist. has a wire coming from it that connects to the coil via plug. The remainder of the wiring is gone (victim of a nasty dash fire), but it does have 2 shiney new "Sorenson" boxes on one of the removed fenders. One has a short pigtail and odd shaped connector plug, and the other has 4 flat connections that are inline. Is one of these a new voltage reg. for the MC alt.? I'll ASSume that the other is for the igntion(?). Is the harness available to connect the ignition back together?

Anyone have any pics of these components?

Thanks as always.....

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am definately no expert (see my most current post on this board) but it sounds like the distributor is a motorcraft from a newer (78-90) AMC 360. If you search the CJ board for teamrush you will find all kinds of information on the "Teamrush upgrade". He wrote a 8 page write up with all kinds of information appx. one and a half or two years ago. With an electronic dist. you can choose to upgrade to the factory ignition with a computer module with a blue grommet (sounds like one of the boxes you describe) or go all the way and get an MSD box.

I put the MSD 6A box in mine. It was a fairly easy install (With MSD stuff the harness just plugs in to everything)...except that it won't start. The wiring harness is available from MSD for less then $40. The box will cost $130. The coil cost $40 (or get a TFI coil from the junkyard for nothing).

Since Teamrush did the write up this upgrade has been on this board nearly everyday. I looked at it hard before doing it and was convinced it was a vast improvement over my delco points. I still am. As soon as I work out the bugs I am sure it will be great. I just hope I didn't screw something up that is going to cost me anything to replace.

In case you are interested in the teamrush upgrade search for "Ignition upgrade for jeep 304&360cid V-8 Amc Engines", dated 2/22/00. This is a good place to start. Lots of posts with questions after that.

Scott

'72 Commando,
rebuilt 304 bored 30 over
4" Alcans,
Soon to have an upgraded MSD/Duraspark Ignition system (Teamrush upgrade from CJ board)

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
How about I just answer the questions here...

If the distributor has a large plastic vacuum advance, it's the Prestolite distributor, and as big a piece of crap as was ever released from the factory.

If the distributor has a metal vacuum advance, and has the word 'Motorcraft' cast into the side of it, it's part of the Motorcraft/ DuraSpark ignition.
(If it's a Motorcraft, there should be an alignment tab for the distributor cap sticking up, the screw that holds that tab in place should be right smack in the middle of the word 'Motorcraft')

If it has points, it's a Delco distributor.

So many cats, so few recipes...

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's the MC dist., Aaron. I didn't inspect it real close, but it doesn't have any points (has a spider looking impeller thing under rotor) and the cap did have some sort of tab to locate the cap.
Any ideas about the sorenson boxes described above?

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Spider looking thing is a perfect discription of the Prestolite Hall trigger arms...
Did it have a black plastic cover under the rotor?
A strange looking black rotor?...

Count on using it for a core when you get a Motorcraft...

So many cats, so few recipes...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts