Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my jeep speedometer gauge cluster for the past few days now. My
fuel gauge has not been working properly since last year. It blew last year and took out the
engine temp sensor. Well, I bought a new gauge and installed it. Everything worked that
night. The next day I tested it again and the gas gauge wouldn't work, and the 4X4 light
was staying on even though it wasn't in 4X mode. After a little while the 4X4 light went out,
I thought the prob. was fixed, NOPE. After looking at the wires for a while I noticed that
the power wire for the 4X4 light, gas gauge, oil pressure gauge were all Jerry rigged
together. I tested this intersection of wires for power and my tester did not light up. I turned
the engine over and none of the gauges that were hooked up to this single power wire were
working. I checked the fuse block and the fuses were all fine. I traced the main power wire
back, until it disappeared into some electrical tape near the steering column, right next to
the fuse block. The way that I look at it that this wire is FUBAR and I need to make a new
power connection somehow that only works when the key is on. If I simply took a wire
splitter and hooked it into another power wire and then ran that wire to the gauges that are
not presently working would this cause any problems. Will I start blowing fuses? If so
should I just put in larger fuses? Should I maybe find one power wire for the gauge
cluster (gas and 4X4), and then find another wire for the oil pressure (maybe the voltage
gauge)? What would be the best, most practical, way to fix this problem?

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
You didn't fill out your profile, so I have no idea what year you are working on.

Buy a Chilton's manual with a good schematic and it will tell you what goes where and the wire colors.
The schematic I have for my '80 CJ shows that the power to the fuel gauge, 4WD light and oil pressure
gauge all connected together in a splice is correct. It also goes straight back to the fuse block.

Don't be using larger fuses unless you want real trouble.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.