Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone have any recomendations on good books to buy dealing with electrical wiring in vehicles...such as the somewhat simple CJ that I have...

I'm looking for super basic stuff such as how to add to the fuse box...things like a stereo or cb...

You guys have great knowledge here but I do better if I have a book and picture to look at...and sometimes I get lost in the descriptions here...just lack of knowledge on my part...

I have a little bit of knowledge...but that's usually just enough for me to get into trouble...

I would like to clean up and upgrade (nutter, TeamRush) stuff in the old jeep but as of now afraid of taking stuff out...

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
In addition to LEVE's suggestion,

Do a search on some of the auto parts suppliers sites and see if you can find a book on wiring a street rod.
Street rod wiring 'How To' books are a little obscure, but they cater to the 'Electrically Challenged' with lots of pictures & diagrams, and keep the techno-babble to a minimum...

There are lots of cheap little booklets out there, and they will all teach you something new.

Are you interested in learning about wiring, or just wanting to hook up this and that once in a while?

If you are interested in wiring in general, start with Radio Shack they have 'Project' books that teach as you actually build something so it doesn't get boring.

If you want the entire education, try used text book stores around tech schools or collages that have tech programs.
(tech schools often sell out dated text books cheap! .50¢ to $5.00 is pretty common)

·
Registered
757 Posts
The above ideas are good for general knowledge. To get to know your jeep better take your haynes or chiltons manual (I think Haynes is better for wires) to your copy shop and blow up and copy all the electical pages for your year. then tape them together to make a big sheet. I am very good at understanding wireing but I never understude my 80 CJ till I blowup the Diagarms 300 to 400%. Once you can trace the circits without a finger instead of a magnifying glass the whole thing gets alot simpler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.