Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1976 CJ5, 304 V8, temp won't get above 140 when driving it on freeway here in Pacific NorthWest. Takes forever to warm up, etc, etc. Has Flex Fan without fan clutch. So I removed fan and have driven it for a day or two and it warms up nice and drives at about 175 degrees. This is great until the weather gets warmer and then it will over heat. My question is this:

I would like to go to the wrecking yard and get an electric fan. Any certain vehicle I should pull it out of? Should I get one large one or two small ones?
What has been the experience of other SWB BBS members in this regard.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Surveyboy, do you have the specs on your fan(s)? Any problems/Mods you needed in your '85? Since you just did it, and my setup is the same, I want to pick your brain while it is fresh.

TIA.

Scott
'85 CJ7 T.H.O.R.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds more like a thermostat problem to me. It should stay closed until the engine reaches the rated temperature of the thermostat. It will then keep the engine at that temp. The fan can not "overcool" the engine if the thermostat is working correctly.

1976 CJ7 304/TH400/QT/D30/AMC20
Front D44, OBA in process.
JeepChicks: 1996 and 1997
JeepDude: coming in March, 2002

·
Registered
596 Posts
please pick softly. LOL

I found them on EBAY but they closely resembald this:
FHP-34114 Ultra Thin Line 12V Electric Fan
dia width cfm weight amps
14 3.18 1769 3lbs 10.2

Those specs are for felx-a-lite electric fan (I think)
So far its been really good.
Just for the heck of it one afternoon, I left the fan in the off position and let the jeep warm up while sitting still. after I couldn't handle it(temp was about halfway up) I flipped on the fan and about 3 minunts later(while sitting) it was right back to normal opperating temp.
the only mod I have really had to do is cut the stud for the water pump pulley. they wern't hitting but I cut them back for comfort.
any specific questions I would be happy to answer.
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Thanks Surveyboy!
It is actually a "Fluidyne" Here are the specs http://www.fluidyne.com/hp_accessory.html it is 11.2 amp draw (Per their specs). Did you install 1 or 2? If 1, pusher or puller (Front or back of RAD)? And did you get the mounting kit with it, or fashion your own?

Scott
'85 CJ7 T.H.O.R.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sound like you've got a thermostat sticking open. It should cut off the water to the radiator when the engine is cool, so there would be no way to overcool the engine. Even the 175 is about 25 degrees too cool, so chances are it's stuck open (or the wrong one is installed)

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I am heeding the advice about the thermostat. But, I am driving down the freeway at 55 mph in 29 degree weather and when I get to town, it heat up to about 200 in stop and go traffic and 220 at a stand still, all without the fan on. If I do go to correct the thermostat and find that it is sticking open, what temp should I put in? I am here in the Pacific Northwest for about 45 more days and then will transfer to Mayport FL to a new ship? Any ideas.

BTW, thanks for all the advice.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts