Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone mounted an electric fan between the grill and the rad? I just got a electric fan from a fellow jeeper from this board. I just got a new clutch so I don't want to swap them. However I was thinking of mounting it between the grill and radiator. Any reason why this isn't a good idea? Will it get to dirty? I was thinking of adding a grill screen so it would help keep it cleaner.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I've seen this done, the guy had to cut a hole in the grille to do it. But it probably sucks, the fan that is,
you most likely have a puller fan and need a pusher. If you put the puller in backwards, with the motor
toward the radiator, the fan will be too far away from the radiator.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Turning the fan blades over just makes it suck worse. It still tries to move air the same direction but
now the curve of he blade is wrong. Are you just funnin' me with that Black Magic?

If reversing the voltage reverses the fan then it is a permanent magnet motor. Maybe it does.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CJ7Taz the information on the Black Magic was given to me directly by Flex-a-lite.....ok wait let me look at my fan.....ok something ain't right, must be you reverse the polarities...either way there is a way to make a pusher a puller on my fan, I will search through my email archives and find exactly how to do it.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw the post while searching the board.

I got a fan from a Mercedes Benz and installed in between the grill and the radiator. I had to pull the 2 middle grill bars a few millimeters to the outside, doesn't show. I wired the fan to a switch inside the cab using a relay (important). I turn it on when the engine gets hot. It only gets hot when I wheel hard with the air conditioning on.

email me if you need any more info or wiring schematics.

Later
A.B.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hey guys what size fans are you running? I just pulled out my flex fan and am going to put on another electric fan. I run alot of water in the summer and I want to get rid of the engine fan and go completely electric and i would like to know what sizes to run. I just put on a bosy lift and i am tired of dropping the radiator down for the engine to blow on it, now the radiator is hanging below the grill and not getting enough flow.
Thanks for any help
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey there,

I have a fan from a chevy cavalier. You can find a pic at my site. I got it from another jeeper from this board actually. For $10. I have only gone wheeling with it once and the weather was cold so i am not sure how well it will work in the summer. I do plan on installing a larger fan later on and putting this one between the rad. and the grill for special accasions.

I did have to move my rad back to the stock position cause the water pump hit the fan motor.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.