Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running an electric cooling fan with their Nissan, and if so what brand did you go with? Also aside from being able to shut it on & off for deep water crossings what other benefits have you gained from it?
Thanks!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
cooling, cooling, and more cooling. if engine swappers rely on them without the belt driven stocker to cool small block chevys, i imagine they would cool a v-six down no prob. are you going to toss the mechanical fan and just go electric to save(gain) some HP? that would be worth doing. -eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be a bonus, but my main reason is for the deep water so I can shut-it off before crossing. I was just curious as to what other gains they would present.

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Remember God forgives "ROCK'S DON'T" /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will see a slight power gain, similiar to the gain/loss when you run the A/C compressor. I have heard good things about the "Black Magic" fans made by Flex-a-lite. They have an application guide so you can find out what you need:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(Sorry, itchy mouse finger)

You will see a slight power gain, similiar to the gain/loss when you run the A/C compressor. I have heard good things about the "Black Magic" fans made by Flex-a-lite. They have an application guide to you can find out what you need:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
well i did it to my four banger and the best thing i liked was quicker warm up in the winter. leave it off until the motor comes up to temp. but you have to remember to turn it on. should be good for you up in canada. check to make sure your fan clutch is not part of your water pump . the four cylinder motors are like that but luckily the water pump from the old 280zx cars with the inline six bolt up. with no clutch and a whole lot cheaper. i paid 20 dollars for that water pump verses the 75 that would have been for the one with the clutch. god luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but sorry to disapoint you but it doesn't get all that cold here on the west coast of Canada, maybe down into the mid 30's to early 40's. I only wish it would get a little colder so that the snow would still be around by the time I got home from work, and that's when we even get any???

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Remember God forgives "ROCK'S DON'T" /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
well 30 or 40 degrees is too cold for me i am from florida you know. the only thing i like about the cold is what it does to make a woman perky heheheh c-ya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You got that right, I guess I'm in perky heaven? Just perky though not quite frozen??? hahaha

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a set of fans from a 1993 altima in my 720. I also have the radiator installed. I used a lower radiator hose from a 1993 300ZX turbo and installed a temp sensing switch set to 195degrees in the lower rad hose. I have the fans set on low speed when they come on and when they do it is only 15-20 seconds tops. The only time they come on alot is when I'm sitting at a light for along time or in line a McDonalds or something like that. The fans have constant hot through a relay for each fan and the temp switch supplies the ground when it gets hot enough. No switches to worry about or anything. I will have the high speed kick in when I hook my A\C back up in the spring. The good thing about these fans is the high speed will override the low speed so you don't need to switch them back and forth. You can use the same ground the engine computer supplies to turn on the compressor. Good Luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, that's an idea worth looking into, but one thing to note you said it functions more efficiently with your a/c compressor on-line? That might be a problem for me since I'am in the process of converting my a/c compressor to an on-board air system, and I don't really have anymore room for a second a/c compressor? Hmmm! back to the drawing board, I'm also looking into installing a 120 power invertor, but I'm still waiting to here back from the guy I'm buying it from. The same guy I've been waiting for to get "DEVINCHI's" ring & pinon?
Thanks again for the idea?

Chris J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts