Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked out my EGR system this past weekend and found that the EGR valve won't hold vacuum./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Got all the hoses back in the proper place (stupid previous owner/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif), and the valve works if I manually depress it, but if I put any vacuum on it - nothing.
Is it possible to rebuild this? I understand that they are about $70 to replace/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif.
Also, between the manifold and the valve, there was a metal plate (same shape as the gasket) that blocked the opening into the manifold. Is this supposed to be there? Or, did someone put this here to disable the EGR? It looks like it could have been home-made.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The EGR valve cannot be rebuilt but you can scrape out all the carbon. Try vacumm with the EGR unattached to the engine and see if it works. If you can move it by hand but not by vacumm the bladder is probally cracked or torn. IE get a new one. The metal plate that sits under the EGR should have a hole that goes to the manifold. It might be plastered with carbon. Try to drive a pick through it and see if it will open up. It would be possible that the EGR while on the engine could not operate by vacumm due to the carbon build up in the EGR or the plate. If the plate doesn't have a hole someone put it there and the engine hasn't been using the EGR anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea my egr was also not working and the exhaust port was plugged up from no use. clean it up and get a new. pep boys could order and get in a day for $110. dealer wanted $140 just curious. napa got one in two days out of albuquerque for $40. try napa!

good lucsteve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the thing off and cleaned it well (it wasn't moving at all!). Now it moves freely/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. While it was off, I hooked my vacuum pump to it and just sucked air - no resistance at all. It looks like the thing is shot/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif. Are these safe to get from junkyards or should I bite the bullet?

The plate only had three holes in it. Two for the mounting bolts and one where the pintle/valve opens and allows gasses through. The fourth hole (should have been a hole) was completely blocked by the plate (no carbon build-up). It completely disabled any usefullness of the EGR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts