Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you may know I am doing an axle swap in my truck, so I have 3.73 gears. I have the front one out of the truck, now I need to get the rear one out. None of the ubolt nuts will break loose, and the leaf spring bolts wont come either. What should I do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you have tried heating them and penetration oil the next step is to cut them off and buy new U bolts. I hope you have a torch, because if not youll be under there for a while with a saw.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4x4
|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I just used the grinder on mine the other week when I was taking the springs off the 76. Only took 5 minutes to cut all 4 U-bolts and its not like you want to use used bolts anyway so its just as fast to cut them and get rid of them. I dropped the whole axle first from the leaves then went and grinded the bolts holding the leaves to the spring hangers.

Good luck..Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok people this little trick works in alot of places.
First heat them up useing a torch, Then start spraying Liquid wrench on them in short burst every minute or so. When they cool down my little sister could get them off for ya.When doing motor work just run the motor until it reaches normal temp and then spray down the bolts that you need to remove.WARNING the liquid wrench will smoke like hell and not smell very good.

www.Kansasfourwheeling.8m.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that heating the bolts with a torch works. Been there, done that. My question is this, dosen't that take the temper out of the bolt? I have never reused a bolt, or nut that I have heated with a torch to remove because I thought that they wouldn't be as strong after being heated like that. Does anyone know if that is accurate or not?
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can cut the rear u-bolts pretty easily with a hack saw. Just make sure you have a good sharp blade.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try hookin up to a Ford that is stuck in a puddle somewhere. Just make sure that you wrap the chain around your axle. Odds are that the Ford will be so deeply mirred in the mud puddle that if you get a good running start you will be gaurenteed axle extraction. Have a nice day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha ha ha, it is to laugh.... /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Anyway, I took some U-Bolts off mine truck today, all I needed was a 15" breaker bar and a 7/8" six sided impact socket. One was really hard but I ranked on it really good and it came out fine.

I have however, had an impossible bolt like yours. It was the rear spring shackle. I had a gallon of penetrating oil on the nut and the afformentioned breaker bar and impact socket (of a different size) on it. I then added a 3 foot long cheater pipe. No go. I ended up leaving the damn things on and adding my add a leafs that way.

Anyhow, good luck buddy!

Unit Seven Off Road - Tex's S10 VS RJ's K20 /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
1978 K20 - 355ci, np208, 700R4, 7" Total Lift

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
if you get a bolt stuck like RJ had, put on the big ol cheater bar and hook it to the hitch of another truck....just idle away and it should break free...a winch would do it too. i saw pops do something similar when he was in the USMC. someone had put a not on with lok-tite instead of anti-seize. it was on a bog duece-and-a-half....way underneath. the set up the heavy duty rachet and chained it to a big dozer....pulled away till it broke free, and then reset the rachet...did this a few times and then it was off. some dumbass burnt the hell out of his fingers though. he tried picking up the nut not thinking that all of that friction created a lot of heat. just some food for thought and a little bit of a warning.
---PEacock

If it hasn't broken, let your girlfriend drive it...it'll break real quick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You really don't want to re-use a u-bolt anyways. Not a very safe thing to do. Kind of like re-using a cotter pin. Torch or grind the sucker off and buy new ones.

Hockey: Five men running around in tights looking to score!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.