Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a 4" bds lift on my cj, anyone know what to do about getting the emergency break to fit. Do I need to get some of extensions like I had to the rest of the way around, or should I just cut the bracket and move it back some.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Get a piece of threaded rod the same size as the thread rod on your adjuster where the two cables hook together. alos get a ... what do you call it? don't recall, maybe someone knows and can chime in on this. but it's like a long nut. long enough to hold each piece of threaded rod, one coing out each end. Basically to lengthen that piece. You may also need to move your brackets for the brake cable back some. I'll see if I can make a diagram of this. pictures work better for me.

here.. like this

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am a little confused as to why you are having a problem.
Usually with a CJ and 4" or less of suspension lift, your rear cables should still work.

The relationship between the front cable and the rear doesn't change with a suspension lift.

If you are having a problem, you will need either longer rear cables, or to move your rear cable mounting points back and or down.
If you do move them, then you may have to extend the front cable as per Brent's pic above.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
My driver's side cable didn't reach after the 4" lift either. I still don't have an ebrake.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Can I use that diagram on my website?
If so, what do you want to be used as a credit to you?

Aaron.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
even with my technical term of "Long nut thingy" on there? WTH are those things called anyway?

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
even with my technical term of "Long nut thingy" on there? WTH are those things called anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Threaded Coupling" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Threaded Coupling Thing-a-ma-bob

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It took you 10 minutes to think up adding "Thing-a-ma-bob" to Dave's post???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I like Thing-a-ma-bob... sounds more techincal.. plus Johns a pipe engineer.. he lays pipe.. he must know!

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
Er..ah...actually, it’s called a hex coupling nut.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd just get rid of the whole "do-hickey" all together if it's a PITA. I had my e-brake pop out twice before my axel conversion. Thank god my motor was off and in gear, but if it was on an incline and I got out...i would have been SOL. So, I cut the ebrake cable on my new axel (although I thought I was going to regret it at first not having an ebrake)and don't even notice it being gone now.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
note to self... park up hill of csc_wyo......

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
It took you 10 minutes to think up adding "Thing-a-ma-bob" to Dave's post???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

started to post but got called away from the puter, hit enter when i got back so :flipoff: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I like Thing-a-ma-bob... sounds more techincal.. plus Johns a pipe engineer.. he lays pipe.. he must know!

[/ QUOTE ]

piping DESIGNER.......that means im smarter then a engineer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

piping DESIGNER.......that means im smarter then a engineer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this means you don't lay pipe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts