Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with using durabak? I was at their website yesterday and saw that they have pictures of an entire Jeep painted with the stuff. I thought this would be a good idea for my jeep, no brush scratches or anything. The thing I would be concerned with is how easy it is to clean. If it is as rough a surface as herculiner it probably wouldn't be too good. Any ideas? I am considering all options for painting the Jeep at this point, I do however want something cheap, easy to apply, and very durable.
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I need to paint my jeep as well, and I'm not about to spend a lot since I only paid $1200 for my rusty CJ-7.
It's primer right now. I have the same questions as Dan. Does anyone know how this looks on the exterior? What about colors,
doesn't durabak only come in black? How difficult is it to apply?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the durabak would be an excelent exterior coating. To clean it all you would need is a deck brush and some soap. Any knicks or cuts could be easily repaired. Durabak is much more resistent to scratches and abuse than paint. Durabak offers many colors and even custom colors can be made to order. Applying it is very easy as long as you read and follow the directions, if you can use a brush than Durabak is a no-brainer.

rlm93yj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had it on the inside of my jeep for a year now, and no visible signs of wear and tear. Tough stuff.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm considering painting my Willys with flat military paint. It's cheap, easy to spray, easy to touch up. Comes in a variety of colors.
<a href="http://www.surplusjeep.com/TRSPAINT.htm"> Surplus City

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A friend of mine is a durabak dealer. They offer a variety of colors and I know we've mixed some colors to try to make our own. I know the black durabak fades pretty bad in direct sunlight. Durabak on the interior is an excellent coating but is tough to clean. Used on hardtops and bumpers we've done it hasn't held up too well. It faded pretty bad and the pollen around here seems to be permanently embedded. The only exterior stuff we've done so far has been in black. Maybe some of the other colors would be a better alternative. You can also spread it somewhat smooth (don't mix it as much) but you don't want to do this on any surface you might someday stand. It's very slick. Thats about it. hope that helped

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love my durabaked dash and interior...I did my interior in red and yellow and plan to do the interior of my humvee kit truck this summer also....great stuff....by the cheap $11 spray gun from harbor frieght to spray it yourself...much much faster and better look.

CJ-7 10"lift

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to add one important note.....get some UV protected clear automitve clearcoat and coat your durabak....it will last much longer and not fade!!!! IT WORKS! Think about it. without UV protection, your durabak will fade and peel worse than a late 80's chevy car (they didn't use UV protection on the windshield)

CJ-7 10"lift

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just herculinered the interior of my Jeep. How much do I need to worry about it fading? If it needs a clearcoat, what exactly do I user?
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just did a full restoration on my Jeep and finished it up a couple months ago. I took the body off, sandblasted the underside, and painted it with black Duraback, as well as on the firewall, front bumper, under the fenders, tow hooks, frame, axles, etc. My bumper and tow hooks are already beginning to fade. Also where I applied only one coat it is peeling off at the high pressure wash! I believe that this is my fault for only applying one coat when I started running out. I am happy with it though, where I applied 2-3 coats. The black does fade though. I also did the entire inside of the tub with camel tan Durabak. (note: the tan is more of an orange color, get a sample before ordering) I also did the hardtop inside and out with the tan durabak. It has held up well so far, and has not started fading. It cleans well with a high pressure sprayer. I seriously considered painting the outside of my Jeep too, with Durabak, but talked myself out of it after talking to many paint shops. I got a REAL nice paint job for $200 + the cost of paint. I used Durathane clear coat. This is the stuff that they use on school buses to take off graffiti with a razor blade. I've been through some tight stuff since I got it done, and it holds up great! Hardly any scratches. This is supposedly the hardest grade clear coat you can get. They say if you get a run when painting-it stays there! I would not suggests using Durabak on the outside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.