Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question, but I honestly don't know. One of my valve covers on my 304 is leaking. I want to replace it this weekend. My question is how? Do I buy a gasket and just lay it down and bolt the cover back on? do I buy a gasket AND use RTV? or do I just use RTV? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when I replaced the one on my 258 I used a gasket and some silicone. I put the silicone on the valve cover only (someone told me that you may never get it off if you put it on the block as well) let it harden for a couple minutes then placed the gasket on. worked well for me, hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little bit of RTV will work along with the gasket. Personally, I always prefer to use a dedicated gasket sealer. One that I have had luck with is Permatex Hi-Tack in the aerosol can. RTV does work, but you can put too much on and oil does eventually break down the seal between the metal and the RTV. One other thing, don't torque down the bolts too much. You can squeeze that gasket out very easily by over-tightening it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The best RTV I've used for valve covers (in addition to a gasket) is Permatex Ultra Blue. Only put it on the valve cover side of the gasket, then lay the cover/gasket on a flat surface (garage floor on some newspaper) for a few minutes to let it tack up. Then bolt it on...not too tight. This has stood up well to heat and oil, and I think they "Guarantee" it not to leak. 'Course I don't know how you would ever collect on that, but I've had really good results with it. My $.02

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being an auto tech., I do quite a few valve covers and many other gaskets daily. My favorite find is called THE RIGHT STUFF. Permatex makes it, and it seems really thick, but let me tell you, I've NEVER had anything come back leaking after using this in conjunction with the gasket(s). With this stuff, you don't have to allow it to set up as with other rtv, and it stays where you put it...just remember, a little goes a L O N G way!!...Mark

66 CJ-5
225"Dauntless"V-6
33" Goodyear Wrangler MT's
2.5" Susp. & 1.5" shackle lifts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mark is absolutely right! Although "The Right Stuff" is more expensive, (about $12 per can) it works better than any other sealant I have tried. I have used it doing my oilpan seal, valve cover seals, diff seals, and thermostat seal. I only used about a 1/8" bead all the way around and NONE of them has leaked what-so-ever *and* I have about a half can of it left!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Working as a Mechanic. I have used " The Right Stuff " and love it. I have never had anything leak when I use this stuff. I have even used it on Diff Covers. And Have had NO problems. I love that stuff!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Mac /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1975 CJ5 304 V8
JEEP, Anything else is just a car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.