Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a DUI distributor 225 v6 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this setup or should I go another route. I have a Mallory coil currently but the standard delcon distributor with points.

· Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't know what that DUI unit costs, but there is a write-up on the AJC board ( www.off-road.com/jeepster/ ) about making an odd-fire HEI dist. under "valuable tips". Also, some of the guys have used stock HEI's off of a '75 or '76 era odd-fire 231. I guess that is a drop-in.

· Registered
2,280 Posts
I've not installed a DUI distributor on a 225, but I have installed DUI distributors on other engines from Ford, International, and Chevy. Just yesterday I finished installing a DUI disitributor on a 1979 Scout II with an International 345 V8 engine. The change in idle and throttle response was like night and day. The idle is very smooth now, and the acceleration is smooth and predictable.
I did a wiring upgrade to the ignition power supply for the DUI distributor. I am using a stand alone ignition relay for the DUI distributor. I like installing a ignition relay because I will get full battery voltage to the DUI distributor. Many vehicles that had a points ignition system will have resistor wires that will prevent full battery voltage from getting to the points distributor.
I admit, the DUI is not a low cost option. The Scout II DUI disitributor for a International 345 V8 was just over $400 with shipping.

It's possible to find the required parts to retro fit and calibrate a 1975 - early 1977 Buick 231 odd fire distributor to work on a 225. I guess it depends on how much time, effort and money a Jeepster owner wants to venture into an ignition upgrade. I've been pleased with the DUI products I've installed.
I think the DUI distributors are worth the expense, especially for vehicles like the Scout II that do not have the option of a factory mix and match of parts to do an ignition upgrade, or for people wanting an ignition upgrade ready to go right out of the box.
dave

· Registered
338 Posts
I looked into the DUI unit prior to installing the HEI into my 225. From my experience, the whole purpose of the DUI company is to make the GM style HEI available to non GM motors. They use GM parts, or parts identicle to GM parts, and manufacture the distributor housing to be compatible to other applications. This isn't to say that DUI might not have made a few improvements to the design, but they are fundamentally the same and therefore I expect they work about the same. The main advantage I can see to going with the DUI is that they will curve the distributor to your application as part of the deal. While getting a HEI curved for a 231 dialed in for a 225 isn't difficult, it does require a little home work and some experimentation. If you have more money than time...go with the DUI, and report back on how well it works. If, like me, you have more time than money, do a search on HEI, print everything, read it until you understand, then go spend around $200 (new-reman) or less for used stuff and enjoy the upgrade.

If I had a motor that never came with a HEI, I would go DUI without hesitation.

Yet another uninformed opinion from me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.