Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my dui, and i am not a (mechanic) so i need some help please. my 85 cj-7 has a 401 just swapped in and i'm not sure what to do about the thin brown wire coming off the delco alternator that is spliced into the 10 gauge red wire with white trim. i am going to run the red 10 gauge wire to the hei dist, do i splice the brown wire to it? i already removed the computer and all it's wires and the ignition box under the windshield washer resovior. any help is greatly apprieciated thanks

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif That little brown wire is to '"tickle" the alternator and get it charging. It stays connected to the red lead. Or....if you want to get fancy, you can run a lead from the ign switch to a light bulb then to that brown lead and on to the alternator. that way, when you turn on the ignition, the light "bub" will light up till the alternator starts charging. Your own little idiot light./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Dave is correct.
If you are standing behind your alternator, and the wire connects to the left (#1) terminal on the two wire plug, then it is the one that should be used for the 'idiot' light.
You will need to get a bulb holder that has two wires, and doesn't ground through the housing.
Connect the 'Thin brown' wire to one side, and a wire from the 'Heavy Red' to the other.
The light should go out when the alternator starts charging and when the key is turned off.
When the key is 'ON' but the engine is not running, the 'Idiot' light should be on.
It should also light up when the if the alternator fails.

If you don't mind, would you tell us how much you paid for that DUI ignition set up?

Good luck, Aaron.

If a tree falls in the forrest, and there is no woman around to hear it, is the man still wrong?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.