Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had never heard of this trail before moving out west, but I don]'t know why. It is by far the most beatifull trail I have ever seen. even better than the rubicon. It's not for the faint of heart at 33 miles long and entirely over 9000 feet, but it's worth it. We had a great group of very experienced wheelers and got through in 3 long days of wheeling. The air was so thin in places that you couldn't walk uphill more than a few steps without being winded. We caught trout for breakfast in Ershim Lake and saw giant sequoia trees on the way in.
It was probably my best wheeling trip ever. I took my dad and we had a great time.
The trail just opened aug 1 and won't be open long this year I think... which is good. we only saw 3 other rigs out there the whole week, and they were from the same town as me!
it it looks like this:

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are really only a couple spots you'll even need the rear locker..
going up chicken rock on the first day.. I don't think you need a locker, but it's nice. Then going up Thompson hill near the end of the first day I used both lockers, but some folks didn't have one in the front and made it OK. thats really about it.. nothing out there is thaqt hard, but the trail really beats on you.. you never shift out of 2nd in low range..for the entire 30+ miles. I have nice PRP suspension seats, so Dad and I felt great, but by the 2nd day the others were complaining about back pain. I used everything I brought except 5 gallons of tap water. I froze water bottles and used them in the cooler.. they are still more than half frozen. It's 90 miles from shaver lake, through the trail and back to shaver lake with no gas between, so even a TJ should bring some. I parked the tow rig at Shaver lake and I think it's the best way..it really climbs from there.
If you want the trail o be harder, go in from the other side. It looks pretty nasty that way. We decided that if we go back, we would go in from the back and drive to Ershim Lake, then turn around. The 13 miles from thompson to ershim is just 10 feet of dirt road with 2 feet of boulders in it..the entire way. Sure is pretty though.
There were some mosquitos up there, but not as bad as other folks have been saying. I guess my Wisconsin roots makes me think mosquitos aren't "bad" till they block the sun..

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't need any spotting.. in fact, I didn't get out of the jeep much at all. The only time I really got winded was when I needed to take a ..er... "walk" with my shovel...
Take a friend with you.. everyone had a co-pilot on our trip and it made for good camp fires.
I tore off the entire track bar and upper control arm mount on my rear axle going up thompson hill, but I'm sure that it had been stressed quite a bit before.
we had a guy drag an m-416 type trailer through...but he really wished he hadn't.
Ershim Lake is at 9000 feet, but this pic must be close to 11000... it's above the tree line and near the end of the trail.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Pepin, are you using a ZEBCO!

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what was up with that pic.. I was useing a nice open face reel the whole trip, and I have the crank on the left....
I caught trout on spoons, spinners, worms, just about anything I threw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.