Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Actually. dual oil filters have been historically used on quite a few engines, and there are some good reasons to do it. First, by using two small cans instead of one big can, you don't have the tremendous separating force that the internal pressure would create and that the stem bolt or the thread would have to hold. Since the area of the circle increases tremendously with every inch in diameter, the force (lbs of oil pressure) times the area gets rapidly out of hand. By using two little guys, you avoid that hassle. Second, it gives a lot more flow area, and decreases the losses from friction, and therefore conserves what little oil pressure some engines have (like low RPM pressure on Jimmy Diesel is pathetic!). And thirdly, the filter can be of a common size, used on smaller, more available applications instead of some huge, rare size. NEVER mount dual filters in series....always parallel. And remember, that once you get below 5 microns, you begin to take out the additive package that was put in the oil for all sorts of good reasons. The final reason is that it adds an extra measure of oil. Like I always used the truck filter on my 350 GMC 3/4 ton pickup. The truck was high enough off the ground that it wasn't a clearance problem, and it brought the oil capacity to six quarts. When I got my '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, I was dismayed at the coffee cup sized oil filter, so I rummaged through the auto parts and found a huge one that still fit and increased my oil capacity to SEVEN quarts.

CJDave

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.