Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 77 CJ-7 that I'm fixing, I have all the parts for dual oil filters, is it worth it? The engines an AMC 360 from a Wagoneer so I want to keep it in good shape, do dual filters do that much to help?
thanx

Steve
98, 4", 33's, CB, Winch, Custom tire carrier, Battle Scars

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dual filters will simply last twice as long before being clogged, if you ran them in series you would theoretically get better filtering but this would cause a drop in oil pressure that may cause problems. bottom line? instead of buying two filters at a time just buy a good name brand one and you should have no problems.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Actually. dual oil filters have been historically used on quite a few engines, and there are some good reasons to do it. First, by using two small cans instead of one big can, you don't have the tremendous separating force that the internal pressure would create and that the stem bolt or the thread would have to hold. Since the area of the circle increases tremendously with every inch in diameter, the force (lbs of oil pressure) times the area gets rapidly out of hand. By using two little guys, you avoid that hassle. Second, it gives a lot more flow area, and decreases the losses from friction, and therefore conserves what little oil pressure some engines have (like low RPM pressure on Jimmy Diesel is pathetic!). And thirdly, the filter can be of a common size, used on smaller, more available applications instead of some huge, rare size. NEVER mount dual filters in series....always parallel. And remember, that once you get below 5 microns, you begin to take out the additive package that was put in the oil for all sorts of good reasons. The final reason is that it adds an extra measure of oil. Like I always used the truck filter on my 350 GMC 3/4 ton pickup. The truck was high enough off the ground that it wasn't a clearance problem, and it brought the oil capacity to six quarts. When I got my '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, I was dismayed at the coffee cup sized oil filter, so I rummaged through the auto parts and found a huge one that still fit and increased my oil capacity to SEVEN quarts.

CJDave

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm with Dave on this one. In fact the dual oil filter setup that I bought (from PermaCool) used to be a FRAM part# (that is, it used to be listed in the FRAM catologue). There are plenty of good reasons as Dave has said.....the added capacity for one. I did a full throttle run in 3rd gear so that I could feel the $105 of added horsepower that TurboCity had just sold me :0)......well it only lasted 10 or 15 seconds.....but when I was done I'd lost 8-10 psi off of my normal 42-45 at idle (22-25 before the hv oil pump)....what I'm saying is that although the temp gauge didn't move - the oil was the first to feel the onrush of heat.....the more quarts you have the more you get to spread that type of "insult" around and you can avoid prematurely "fataguing" the oil. Most jeepers blow this off feeling that the 3000 mile change is conservative enough for their needs. I for one (among a very few) won't depend on just that to protect the internals of my engine in extreme conditions -and almost everyone here subjects their motors to EXTREME conditions- why they treat the lubication of their motor like it was a common passenger car..I don't know. I want to be able to idle my motor in traffic when it's 95 degrees out (or crawl at 3000 rpm in 4WLOW and not worry about it). I had a high volume pump installed on my TJ at around 3000 miles (stage 1) ..the dual filters come next (stage 2) and then a oil cooler w/ themostat (stage 3).
Maybe I'm just obsessive but I would rather over engineer this part of the total package.....you'll never see me posting "Oil in air cleaner" or "Excessive Blow-by-HELP"......unless there is a severe manufacturers defect somewhere in my engine.....it'll never need a rebuild because of a lubrication or cooling system failure in my life time regardless of how much I demand from it.
So .....buck the convention of the "common oilers" .....go hog wild and join the "obsessive oilers" like Dave and me....you'll never regret it.
GeeAea

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.