Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased (Nov 99')a 1984 jeep CJ-7. I'm doing what I imagine most jeepers would do, redoing it "my" way /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

Anyway. The 304 V8 has an aftermarket intake manifold, Holley carb and Headman headers, so you'd think the previous owner(s) were trying to increase this engines performance.

But(and here's the kicker) the headers flow into a SINGLE exhaust system /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif?!?!?! Yes, that's correct, one rusty little cherry bomb and then exits behind the rear wheels /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. This is "odd" (to be polite) to me.

I am interested in installing (myself if possible... to save $$$)a dual exhahust system with a crossover pipe before the mufflers and I would like the system to exit the rear of the vehicle after the rear axle on either side of the gas tank.

I have been unable to locate any company that sells a complete dual exhaust system for (except JC Whitney, but their Header exhaust system that exist on the side of the vehicle does not interest me) a CJ-7 with a 304 V8.

Any solutions,ideas, help out there that I, as a "newbie" to the land of the Jeeps am not aware of? Or do I have to "suck it up" and head down to Midas /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif and pony up the cabbage for a custom system?

Any help, leads, comments are welcome. Enjoy.

Rawbin /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

·
Registered
462 Posts
It is custom - I have the same setup as you want and I haven't found an after market supplier that makes exactly what I have. But don't go to Midas! Find a small mom and pop shop. You'll literally save a hundred plus dollars, and won't spend much more than you would for shipping and such from the aftermarket. I found it a reasonable way to go.

BTW - Midas wanted $1082 to completely redo the brakes front and rear on my wife's Cherokee. I did it myself for about $350, and that included $100 of tools I "needed" to buy /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif(don't tell my wife) to complete the job. Lifetime warranty or not, I can do a complete system change three times for about the same amount they were going to do it once - and buy new tools each time to do it! IMHO, they are one of the biggest rip-offs in the industry!

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I'm off to search for a mom and pop muffler shop to do the job. I apperciate the input. Thanks Jay!

Rawbin /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Our 304 CJ7 had a "custom" exhaust with stock 401 mainfolds on it. The "Y" pipe was a joke. BIG....but the "Y" was a "T", and not a real good flow situation. We ahve to have a cat converter to pass smog, so we are using the cat as a collector by going with a two-hole inlet cat which has a single outlet. Everything is 2-1/2", which is PLENTY for the 304. A single 2-1/2" NAPA turbo flow muffler will be behind the catalytic converter./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had a "custom" exhaust bent under my CJ. I paid $208 which inlcluded two turbo mufflers. I did however, go to Midas.
The guy did an excellent job with it though. Both pipes are up high enough that you can't see them by looking at the side of
the Jeep, and he bent the tail pipe sections in the U shape for the rear axle. I do have a 258 with a dual outlet header and the
dual pipes exiting on each side of the gas tank. For what I paid I am very pleased with the work.

Alec

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.