Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. I need to bring my 304 on a road trip because I just sold it.. what do I put it on? how do I do this this? do I need to build something? Drain the oil right?

78 CJ7 "Issues"

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Is it a complete motor? oil pan, intake, all covers, etc? Can't see why you'd need to drain the oil, as long as all oil caps and stuff are on it. Put it in a big plastic bag, and strap it to a pallet with straps or a bunch of wraps of duct tape. It should make the trip ok. You could nail some wood supports to the pallet if you wanted to, but that's up to you.

Unless I misunderstood the question, doesn't seem too bad. I've transported a few motors in the back of my pickup. ..umm.. are you talking transporting it in the back of a Jeep? Now that's a horse of a different color.

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just build some kind of support stand out of 2x4's to keep it upright. Use some tie down straps to keep it from sliding around when you get it on the road.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If it's in a truck bed, the main thing is to secure it to the truck. Once them engines get to rolling, they are hard to stop!!! If you can build a box to fit the oil pan that works really well. But if you just shove it up against the cab, and strap it in place you shouldn't have a problem. Just cover anything you don't want water to get into.

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Get an old tire and set the engine in the tire, possibly on top of a pallet. Strap it down, and go for a ride. This will prevent the oil pan from taking a beating. If the engine is heavy, you may need two tires to support it.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

·
Registered
543 Posts
i've had good luck with using a large tire on a pallet. once you get it in on the tire in the back, make sure you strap it in good. you can lay a second pallet in there to keep the first one from moving. i had a cousin, years ago, get hurt pretty bad, when an engine in the bed broke loose and nailed him good. we were only going about a mile down the road, but somebody pulled out in front of us, alan hit the brakes, and it broke loose. my cousin ron was riding in the back.. dumb move looking back.. he was about twelve and spent a couple days in the hospital.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1.) wooden pallet in truck bed
2.) old tire on top of pallet
3.) engine (oil pan first) into tire.
4.) strap it down good and tight.
5.) Cover with tarp to keep out the elements + show new owner "you care"
5.)drive slowly and avoid sudden stops

works for me, best of luck

Rawbin /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

torx: mistake, or did they do it to us on purpose?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well. well. well.. there always has to be an ass in the post I see.. I am in school right now fool.. I was asking what the best way was..

78 CJ7 "Issues"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
muddy-

its got nithing to do with being an ass, and everything to do with having a sense of humor. Lighten up, and smile like the rest of us!!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Don't ever feel bad about asking a question. Even the smartest people ask for proven solutions rather than reinventing the wheel. But, on the same token, just because it has been done such and such way for X number of years, dosn't mean you can't come up with a better way to do it. So My suggestion is Ask but also think about a solution.

good luck on your transportation requirements.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the overwhelming response.. palet/tire combo looks pretty good /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif....

78 CJ7 "Issues"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts