Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,680 Posts
Repack your wheel bearing while you're in there. Just dab a thick pad o' grease on the palm of your hand and whack the edge of the bearing against it to work it in good.

Ah heck, you knew that. I'd have to hear the noise, but I do know that bearings will make howls at high speeds, grunts at real low speeds, and whirs at midspeed.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

· Registered
2,680 Posts
Me me me !!!

I have. Not on the Jeep though. It was my first car -- a Honda Prelude. Most brakepads have a little leader of metal sticking out so that they squeal a little (like for another 1000 miles or so) before they get so worn you ride mostly on metal. These didn't. It was so fun getting crappy braking distance accompanied by a spinetingling shriek of metal rubbing up against metal at high speeds.

Glad your problem is solved -- and just in time, too! There's a great story about the clutchplate with some serious rivet wear that I found during the rebuild of my 2.5. It was like everything just needed to be replaced at once. it was very handy and I have to thank the MJ for being so nice to put everything off until one point. So much easier to do clutchwork with engine on the cherry-picker.

'88 MJ SporTruck

· Registered
2,680 Posts
Dang, I read your last post too fast. I was talking about the shoes. So I guess I'm not as cool on the "running-at-the-limit-of-your-braking-problems" scale.

'88 MJ SporTruck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.