Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched but haven't found any info that is what I am experiencing. I recently purchased an 02 F350 4x4 diesel auto.

Being in Alaska, I use my 4wd a lot. I have manual hubs. Recently I started hearing a grinding noise come from my driverside front hub. When I switch it out of 4wd, with the hubs still locked, the noise stops.

I jacked up my front end and wiggled the wheels - wheel bearings are good. There is a little play when I spin my tire and when the u-joints move. Not sure how much play is supposed to be in there but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Last night I unlocked my hubs and switched it into 4wd - I thought I would still be able to break the rearend loose on slick snow but it acted like I was in 4wd - even with my hubs unlocked - good traction and when I turned it felt like I was in 4wd. Could this be a bad hub causing the noise and still keeping my truck in 4wd with the hubs unlocked?

I'm a Toyota guy and new to Fords - Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
421 Posts
it should be easy to verify that your hubs are working or not. jack the wheel off the ground, rotate the wheel and see if the axle moves or not. there should be no "play" in a u joint or c/v joint, but a LITTLE rotational play in the hub might be ok. if you are a diy guy, get a chiltons or haynes book for your truck and get in there. manual hubs are not that complicated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.