Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I dropped my gastank for the MPI install (I had a bad tank of gas about a year ago and the previous owner abused the jeep) I found thea the skid plate had some pretty bad rust scaling on the inside of it. It appears that the rubber mat between the skid plate and the poly-tank held quite a bit of water in there and allowed it to rust up.

I am going to neutralize the rust with a spray inhibitor and then repaint the skid plate. I was thinking of drilling some holes for the water to drain out of on the bottom of the skid plate. Has anyone done this or something similar. I am also thinking of bending some flat stock tothe shape of the skid palte and then welding it on to increace the strength.

Any thoughts,

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have done both of the ideas that you have mentioned. I welded in a 1/8in. piece of steel between the skid plate and the tank and drilled holes though both and also put small 1/8in. spacers in where the skid plate bolts in. This only shaved off 1/8in. of ground clearence, but it did leave room for the water to drain and if it did bend (which it hasn't) gave it some room before it bent the tank also.

Aaron
95YJ SOA
w/many mods

1 - 2 of 2 Posts