Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. my 258 I6 metal valve cover appeared warped and was leaking oil everywhere. I changed it.. leak stopped from there and appeared to stop for about 10 days or so.

This morning I woke up.. looked under the jeep.. and.. you guessed.. a puddle of oil. I can't see anything leaking from the valve cover, although it could be coming from the side that butts against the firewall and is therefore not readily visible. The oil appears to be dripping from an area behind (towards the rear end) of the oil pan. Maybe where the motor and tranny or transfer case mount together. Does this seem right? How can I go about tracking down this leak other than the obvious "Clean and watch". I mean, this leak could be coming from somewhere else and blowing back to this point. The jeep is my daily ride and it can't be out of commission for more than a weekend. I read all the posts on rear main seal leakage, but I'm sort of hoping that this doesn't need to be done just yet.

Additionally.. I've had a couple of thougts about this. First, and sporadically, I'll get alot of white smoke from one tail pipe. Since it's only one side and I've got headers, I traced that side back to 3 cylinders and I took the plugs out of each one. The #6 (rearmost) plug was oil fouled beyond recongition. I surmised this was because that plug was right under the valve cover leak. Changed the plug. Still smoking. Fired up the engine and took off the plug wire. No smoke. So.. as I see it, maybe I have a compound problem. Oil in the cylinder? Needs to rings or valves? Maybe there is just too much pressure building up and the oil needs to go somewhere. Seems like maybe oil was leaking from the cover because it was the easiest place for pressure to be released. Further, since replacing the valve cover (and this is my only recent repair) my timing has been really terrible. The Jeep runs "chunky" at times, as if its got some bad gas or maybe the timing is off.

I'm really hoping I don't need a valve job AND a ring job AND a new rear main. But I'm not sure where to start.

Idears?

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Sounds like an overhaul to me/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif what you can do is get a 258 and "build" it first, then change it over the weekend./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifIt's a two....maybe three moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifjob. LOTS of pizza and moondrink/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you should mention that Dave. I was thinking about doing that with either a 258 or a V8. Also, I was thinking about selling the CJ-5 and getting an 87 Wrangler (has AC, hardtop, stuff like that). I'm really not sure I want to do that.. I love my CJ!!

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the oil leak stopped for 10 days after you changed valve covers then maybe you did a poor(no offense) job with the gasket or rtv?
i think you had better set the timing and also check the compression in all cylinders. should be constant 120-150 psi(minimal variation between cyls).
sounds like at least one cyl is shot. could need valve job and possibly rings.
how many miles you got?
lets get this baby back on the road!
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
steve

·
Registered
418 Posts
White smoke is water, not oil..... but you have oil problems, too, both inside and outside. The only think I can think of that would cause a water leak and oil leaks both inside and outside is either a blown head gasket or a warped head (has it overheated recently?). Steve is right; do a compression test first, it'll probably be low in #6. Then pull the head, have it checked for flatness, and if it's OK put it back on with a new gasket. Head leaks could also cause the bad running problems you describe, similar to an intake manifold leak.

-Dana

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts