Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a couple of small holes in the exhaust cause loss of power? My Catalytic converter started making a rattling sound a couple of days ago (as if the internal components had broken loose). In conjunction, I suddenly have a major lack of power. I have to floor the old 94YJ (2.5L) to get up the steep hills on the way to work. There is an accompanying hiss. I don't detect any loss of compression from the block, but there are some small holes near the catalytic converter and the muffler (in the welds). I'm pretty sure my clutch isn't slipping and causing the problem. I could take it in to a shop, but I really dread it unless I already know what the problem is and what needs to be done. I have a major distrust of dealerships AND unaffiliated shops. I don't wanna get hosed. I'm broke enough as it is. Any help would be appreciated. For 6 years I've never had any trouble out of my Jeep, but lately, it seems it's falling apart...
J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket

TXJeepr

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Holes in system, not really, but since you mentioned a rattling noise in the converter, it sounds like your converter is toasted, literally. This can cause power problems, backpressure to your engine, and even fire. Replace the converter, or if there are no laws, remove it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother had this happen to a car he owned. The internals of the cat broke apart and this effectively plugs the exhaust.
Sounds like you need a new cat.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had that problem on mine too... don't drive it, if you can avoid it. It created so much back-pressure that the heat build-up cracked my distributor. It took the dealer 2 xx to figure this out.

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a recall on the cat in 1995 or 1996, and if yours has never been done, you could have a free cat coming. I had a 95, and had the same symptoms. It is a faulty cat, and if you keep driving, you could start your Jeep on fire. Check with a dealership about the recall

Phil Baird 83 CJ7
www.off-road.com/~pbaird
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phil has a good point. If I remember right, by federal law all emission equipment is warrantied by the manufacturer for 75,000 miles.
If your Jeep has fewer miles than that, the dealer has to replace the cat. for free.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time to chalk up another 150-200 bones this site has saved me. Man this board is the best...

A very happy...

TXJeepr

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take it to the dealer, on my 93" YJ and my 95" Cherokee I had the cats replaced because of a recall. Jeep has seemed to have an ongoing problem here. There is a web site that has a history of all the recall notices given on US auto manufactures. I can not recall the URL but I am sure a few trys with a search engine will get you there.

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That happened on my '94 YJ and I replaced the cat and it was fixed. About two months later I got that recall letter from Chrysler. When I told the Jeep dealer about me replacing the cat, they had me come in and they put a real Jeep cat on it and reembursed me the money I had spent on the other cat.

'94 YJ, '85 CJ7 /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, I've already had the cat replaced by Jeep once by that recall. I didn't know that they were covering it until 75,000. The first one failed at about 20,000. This one at 65,000. So, i hope this new one lasts longer than the first two. The first time there was no power loss though, just a rattle. Oh, well, I learn something more every day.

TXJeepr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.