Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna Drop the Fuel tank in the ZJ tonight or tomorrow night with Caver's help. Need a sure fire method to drain the tank of the majority of it's 10 gallons that are in it now. I'd say drive it empty, but at the rate this pump is dieing... I don't think so Tim! Anyway. Would like to make this as painless as possilbe, so anyone have an easy way to drain it short of a hole saw to the bottom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was gonna say a hammer and chisile! but you are right a hole saw would make qiuck work of it!

·
Registered
946 Posts
How long will take to empty the tank if you redirected to fuel line to gas can and hot wire the fuel pump??

Just keep the sparks down when connecting the wires. You can probably pull the relay and hot wire it there.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried Siphoning a ZJ tank before.. only thing I got was a mouth and lung full of vapor.... never could seem to get the hose into gas. I think there is some sort of anti-siphon deal going on in there.

hot wire the pump.... if I knew exactly how, I might be comfy in doing that. remember, I'm not too hot with electrical... add gas fumes to the equation and I'm down right dangerous! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
just get a siphon hose... I have one that rocks.. it has a ball valve...you drop the ball valve into the tank and just shake the tube... then it siphons... its awesome and it's good on the trail too.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Those siphon hoses are really trick! But get a good one, not a cheapie.
A friend used a cheapie on my tank to get some gas, the check valve came off with a short piece of hose inside the tank. Somehow it got caught on the gauge's float, had to pull the tank -- correction - he had to pull the tank!

Find the fuel pump relay - close by should be a single wire connector that goes nowhere - usually a male spade terminal - that's the fuel pump test point. Run 12 volts to it with a jumper. The pump will - or should - run. Pump it into cans. Takes 5-10 minutes

·
Registered
530 Posts
Start to drop the tank. Supported with a jack. When you get as far as taking the filler neck loose from the tank nipple. Put a piece of hose straight into the tank. Then siphon from there. Let it drain while you sip a cold one.

Note the similarity in the root words.

Sip - to suck through a straw or drink from a glass.

Siphon - To suck through a hose.

Hmmm - either way it seems that you suck.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Repeat as necessary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

[Tangent] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Main Entry: sip
Function: verb
Middle English sippen; akin to Low German sippen to sip
intransitive senses : to take a sip of something especially repeatedly
transitive senses
1 : to drink in small quantities
2 : to take sips from

Main Entry: siphon
Function: verb
transitive senses : to convey, draw off, or empty by or as if by a siphon -- often used with off
Etymology: From the ghetto - for to steal a bro's petrol from his ride. See also: {ethnic} credit card

Then finish the job of R&R-in the tank.

Or just figure gas @ 7 lbs / gal * 10 gal = 70 lbs + 10 lbs for the tank itself = 80 lbs. Man up and drop that baby. I am pretty sure between you and Caver and a jack y'all can handle 80 lbs.

If not, get Layla to help.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[ QUOTE ]

If not, get Layla to help.

[/ QUOTE ]

well damn.. there's the answer! Why didn't you just say ask the three year old project manager:

cool deal, thanks all. should be good to go with this.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Brent, did Caver call you last night??? This is what I told him to tell Layla. Pick up the Master E2000 fuel pump (1988 F-150 with FI I-6, external pump) Run hot from a battery. Just hook on to the soft lines coming off the top of the tank, or if they are hard all the way to the tank, come up the hard line a few inches from the tank, cut out 3 inches or so, (give them some flare if you want) then double clamp some soft line off the side from the tank to a new fuel filter then soft line again to the E2000 then soft line into a receptical...When the tank is empty then just shorten up the last soft line and hook to the hard line to the motor...Bada Boom, Bada Bing, you's goo to go.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya, he was telling me all that right after I purchased the OE replacement.....

·
Registered
530 Posts
I know I'm not Brent, but I got this outta what you posted

[ QUOTE ]
Pick up the Master E2000 fuel pump (1988 F-150 with FI I-6, external pump)

[Charlie Brown's Teacher's voice}
Wooo waaa wonnn woon yada yada

Bada Boom, Bada Bing, you's goo to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now maybe because I am over thinking. But I am thinking that you are trying to suggest an alternative to replacing the intank pump. As opposed to a way to drain the tank?

Which is all good, but he still needs to drain/drop the tank to get the OEM pump out of there or the new external pump will be trying to suck through the OE pump.

Or am I missing the point all together?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And just for my edification - how much $$ is that pump compared to the external Mopar FI pump that some are running on FI conversions. IS it cheaper or better or what?

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Now maybe because I am over thinking. But I am thinking that you are trying to suggest an alternative to replacing the intank pump. As opposed to a way to drain the tank?

Which is all good, but he still needs to drain/drop the tank to get the OEM pump out of there or the new external pump will be trying to suck through the OE pump.

Or am I missing the point all together?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And just for my edification - how much $$ is that pump compared to the external Mopar FI pump that some are running on FI conversions. IS it cheaper or better or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, to use an external pump to drain the tank (may take a short while longer "sipping" thru the OEM pump, but whoopty)... & Yes, replace the intank abortion with an external.

IIRC, the OEM intank is approx. $225-$240... the Master E2000 (external FI rated that folks here use) is $75...

FWIW, tell "Layla" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif the OEM pump can be taken back and swapped for the external & some $$$$

·
Registered
530 Posts
So - I take it we are talking -

Use it to drain tank.

Then use it to replace the internal.

I understand that to drain the tank a couple minutes one way or the other to pull through the in-tank pump is a moot point.
But I was talking about leaving it that way w/o removing the internal pump not being a good idea.

Also - I was asking about that E2000 pump VS the Mopar external pump that is around $80 - 100 (depending on where you get it) not VS the internal with all its $200-300 price and all that goes along with an internal pump.

Saavy ?

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
But I was talking about leaving it that way w/o removing the internal pump not being a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, once the tank is drained, yank the pump from it's berth in the "assy" replacing with a length of hose/hardline

[ QUOTE ]
Also - I was asking about that E2000 pump VS the Mopar external pump that is around $80 - 100 (depending on where you get it) not VS the internal with all its $200-300 price and all that goes along with an internal pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, the "Mopar" branded external was mega$$$ and the E2000 was the <$100 option? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
one thing that was pionted out to me by Tommy up at O'Rielly's, Say I do go to an external pump and pull the actual pump out of the Internal pump and use just the sending unit in the tank. how much longer is my old sending unit gonna last? That's why I said screw it, go with the stock replacement. no bastardizing my fule system, just swap it an run.

ALSO. If by chance I swap the pump for the stock replacement and my problem is still there, I can't go wondering if my bastard fuel set-up is wrong, or if it's still yet another problem.

Simple fact is, I bought a stock replacement, I'm gonna throw it in there. I got some great ideas to pump the tank so thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, thanks for ideas on trying to help me save cash, but I'm ready to be done with this, I need my DD back so I can get back to the CJ.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Does that price include the whole sending unit?

When my pump failed on my van I was able to match just the pump up with the one in the sending unit for less than $100.00.

Normally they charge $380.00 for the complete sendingunit and pump.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts