Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would one go about building a double alternator welder? Would this setup lessen the load on the bearings and alternators? Also, would the extra alts tax the engine any? Just an idea. Can this be done?

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

· Registered
4,675 Posts
if youve go teh underhood room this is a great option I would think.

seemsit would offer, higher capacity, lower alt load at one alt capacity, redundancy, a zillion wires and belts ( bad part) and a 2 times as many plug ins for blenders, oh yeah and grinders.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

· Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I figure that I have a CJ5 without any accessories (save for a York) and it was built for many accessories (read: three belt pullies). I would build a mount that would run two belts to the alts. with one to the York (which I already have).

Would I just run a wire from each alt. to a common connector then out to the welder?

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

· Registered
4,675 Posts
that would parrellel thyem, twice the curent sae volts, hmm or if you leave the rectifier in there to convert to DC you could run them in series and get the sun f the volts with the current of one, or it cold be switchable.

IM not sure which would be more useful.

IM a big fan of DC welding because its less likely to bite you when your sprawled out on the wet ground, and it has less splatter, BUT it doesnt penetrate quite as well as AC for the given current ( from what I understand)
but there is nothing on a JEEP you couldnt penetrate 100% with 140 amps DC that IM aware of.

there may be phasing issues, Im not sure, btween the 2 alts.

better let CJDave shed some light on this one

its over my head!

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

G

·
Lets not get carried away, the onboard welder is a emergency item to get you home, if you start loading this thing up with too many shop tools, it's gonna break from the weight alone.
We got by (and still do) with a couple pair of jumper cables and a few pairs of sunglasses. : )

· Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehehe...well since I live in Married Housing with my grad student wife, I have NO place to work on my Jeep, so I need to carry all of my tools around with me, including a welder. I was looking into dual alternators to lessen the load so that I can fabricate some stuff without killing something.

I have full air tool power and now would like to have full welder capability.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

G

·
Dual alternators, as in using one for the jeep normal alt. function, and a second that is unregulated for welding that you only use to weld is one idea...it sounds as though some are suggesting 3 alternators, though...one for normal,and 2 for welding. I agree with dirtrod...the idea is backwoods usage, and simplicity. Save the hyper-welding for home, where you have all the right rods, tools, etc. Keep the jeep welder a functional usable tool, but don't try to make it a space-shuttle.

2 alternators is simpler (wiring wise) than 1 used for both alternator and welder. 3 alternators would be a nightmare.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.

· Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know, I just DON't HAVE a HOME that I can use "real" tools in!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

I think that I will have to look around and see if the university garage may let me use their electricity.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.