Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thank you for bring this up to us.
I fear that the politicians are not in trouble,They should be!
The facts have been out there for years. As you have seen the
news you put before us is not on the front page of your news paper.
Just like the nut that drove into a school yard and killed something
like a teacher and kid or two and hurt more kids. did you see that
on the news. It saddens me that people that own guns are seen as the
nuts and the ones to be feared and we have done noththing wrong. History
and other studys have shown it to be true.
Here in South Dakota with a background check you can very easyly get
a Permit To Carry A Concealed Pistol- And we still don't have a high
rate of killing or have gun fights in the street. In some ways SD is
ONE OF the last free states. NOT THE ONLY ONE.
It is truely sad. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

· Registered
5,526 Posts
To see the truth, read a book by a man named (to the best I can recall) John Lott, called "More Guns, Less Crime"... He's a statistician and did an analysis of different areas with different levels of gun controls and where there's the least restrictions, there is the least crime. Criminals have no deterrent when the public is unarmed. They don't care about the police, or laws obviously. They're obviously commiting a crime to be considered a criminal in the first place, and if they're breaking one law, they won't mind breaking another law about guns. But the book says more than I could ever say, and with more credibility, so I'll let the book tell the story... I have never read that book (It's always been checked out of every library I've tried) but I've heard it's very good...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a little carryed away above. Sorry but I will not
change it . It kind of the way I think. SD like every where and
is no bed of roses but where is???I,m not so stupid to think
its the best place in the world . Enuff.

Mr. 454 I think Lott was a antigun person till he started doing
his reserch on gun control. I to have never read his book but have
read that it is very good and interesting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When we were trying to get the right to carry permit law in Texas the anti gun freaks said "blood would run in the streets" if it passed. Well, it passed and violent crime has gone down considerably. Way down. I've got mine. Let some druggie try to drag me out of one of my Jeeps at a red light.

'94 YJ almost all stock, '85 CJ7 almost nothing stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"More Guns, Less Crime" is a great book. I strongly suggest buying a few copies, and give them to anyone you know who thinks guns should be banned. I've converted a few people with that book.

You can go here to see a couple other articles that Professor Lott (he is a professor at the University of Chicago) has written.

Another interesting article about Right-to-Carry laws can be found here . This one is on the NRA's webpage, but it is very informative.

I urge everyone who values the Constitution and the 2nd amendment to go to https://www.nrahq.org/givejoinhelp/...//contagious-racing.8m.com"]Contagious Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks CJ!!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I don't trust any government that I can't shoot at./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif A man with a gun is a citizen; a man without one is a step away from slavery. As for me and my house, we will go down shooting rather than let some govm't thug take our property. RANDY WEAVER WAS RIGHT!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Close, Gary Kleck was the anti-gunner, college professor liberal, set to prove once and for all with a comprehensive study that guns were bad. To his great credit, he analyzed his data and changed his position. Point Blank is the name of the book.

If you guys were NRA members, you would have known this. Shame on you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the same subject I'd like to mention
something that absolutely stunned me.
We recently had a tradegy here in Ca. when
a murderer walked into a Nursery School and
opened fire. The weapon of choice for this
"man" was a semi-auto 9mm Uzi.
Shortly afterwards our Gov., "Gay" Davis,
got himself in front of a camera and pronounced,
"this is a perfect example of why we need tougher
gun laws."
The fool neglected to mention that the weapon used
HAD ALREADY BEEN BANNED FOR 10 YEARS IN CALIFORNIA!!!!
Yet I'm sure all the people who didn't know any better
stood up and said, YES!!!!
It just sickens me that the libs will say ANYTHING to
promote their agenda, and what sickens me even more
is that millions of people fall for it.
Sorry but I've had that particular incident bottled
up for some time now.
Gary '78cj7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand what your saying. Then the news get ahold of it and make a
big deal about words like [9mm][Uzi][auto]. They like leave the word [semi]
off.
We are lucky for the kids sake that the nut did not come in there with a
bird gun with 12ga. buck.
How about I think was the biggest mass murder . WAS NOT NOW.
Was when a nut thru a lit jug of gas in a bar back east and
killed a bunch of people. We are just lucky we can still get
gas for our jeeps .
Like the guy that drove his car thru the school yard to kill people.
The nut with the gas.
There is just going to be so many unstable people out there.
You can give up all the freedom you want and they will still fine
ways to hurt and kill others.

· Registered
5,526 Posts
People need to be held accountable for their actions again.

Guns are just tools, just like hammers, cars/trucks, airplanes, can be used for good purposes, or bad. People determine what it's used for. Someone could go bezerk with a hammer, bonk someone over the head and kill them. Laws shouldn't speak of the way someone gets murdered, they should say murder with anything is unacceptable, and prove it by an appropriate punishment. Self defense is a right we'll soon no longer have if laws keep going. I don't accept this at all... I hate how they throw around the phrase "assault weapons" when describing weapons that "look like" military weapons, but aren't capable of full auto firing/selective fire. Oh my God, now we have to limit how many rounds can be held in a magazine. Now it's down to 10 maximum. How will this possibly help anything at all? It takes, what, about 1 second or so to put a fresh magazine in a weapon and be firing again? There's also an interesting thread on this subject on the Toy board. It's also interesting.

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pardon me if I'm preaching to the choir here but I have to comment. Off-roaders have some issues in common with the NRA members. As you know the NRA is an organization that works to protect our Constitutional rights, especially the Second Amendment. If you look closely, those that want to ban your right to protect yourself are also those who want to prohibit you from using the forests, trails, state and federal parks, etc. Some of them mean well but are very naive. For some reason they are incapable of thinking for themselves, and certainly thinking in a logical manner. They have this insane idea that BIG BROTHER should take care of us. Remember the definition of a conservative is a liberal that's been mugged. I have been an NRA Life Member for 16 plus years. While I have not always supported the "party line", because for awhile prior to Charlton Heston they were getting too far to the right, I continue to support their efforts. I do not believe that law abiding citizens should be prohibited from purchasing a firearm, or for that matter, carrying it concealed provided they have training, including a class on liability, and annual qualification. I have served in law enforcement for 16 years too, currently as a general investigator, including homicides. My observations are, if most of the homicide victims had been armed they'd still be alive today. And you, the taxpayer, cannot pay enough to post a cop on every corner. Look around your neighborhood and you may find other groups to join that will support your efforts in overturning closed trails, etc. There is a lot of power in the vote. But you must exercise it, that is get off your butts, stop whining and vote! The NRA is a legitimate organization, join, support the organization, and the NRA will support you. Get out there and make your voice heard in your state capitol, and in the political parties. If a politician doesn't represent your interests vote him/her out of office! Or better yet, run for office yourself. As another BBS user says, "and that's my .02 cents".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As good a .02 cents as any!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SmallBlock4sure - The SandMan 454
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif You two where doing a great job holding your own on the Toy board/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very well said. Like you, I have not always agreed with everything the NRA has proposed, but they are one of the few organizations that stand up for the honest person's right to own firearms. I have worked in law enforcement for about twelve years, and know that most officers support the people's right and ability to defend themselves. Too bad common sense doesn't apply in politics!

Dan Brooks

· Registered
287 Posts
hi jeeper guys, this is a post i posted on the toyota board where i normally hang out.

all right guys, i was going to leave this one alone because i've been working on a reaserch paper about gun control and am sick of the topic, as with probably most others on this board, but, i thought i'd throw out some info. it is directly out of my paper and from a book i read while doing research.

"One interesting note is the fact that the five states that have the highest homicide rates have the strictest gun laws. The District of Columbia has the highest rate of 78.5 persons per 100,000, yet allows no citizen to own a handgun. Next is Louisiana with 20.3 persons per 100,000, they have mild gun laws but are not considered typical of the other high homicide states and has very strict concealed weapon permit laws. Mississippi is third. New York is fourth with New York City accounting for 81.7 of all murders in the state, with restrictive concealed carry laws. California is fifth with a rate of 13.1 per 100,000, yet has the longest waiting period in the nation and generally already has the gun laws in effect that congress writes."
On the other hand, the states with the least amount of murders have the least stringent gun laws. Idaho has a homicide rate of 2.9 murders per 100,000 persons. Iowa has a rate of 2.3 per 100,000, yet has a short waiting period of only 3 days. New Hampshire is the third safest state with 2.0 per 100,000 has an instant background check and you can freely carry a weapon on your person. North Dakota is the next with a murder rate of 1.7 per 100,000 , has no waiting period and allows you to carry a gun openly with no permit and only requires you to have a concealed permit due to federal laws. Maine is the safest place to live in the U.S. with only 1.6 homicides per 100,000 and they have nearly the same lenient laws as North Dakota."

i thought these were very interesting facts. i thought i'd share them with you.

TomKlipp
85 short bed 22R
Where's my beer?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.