Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don\'t go wheeling with H8monday ...

... unless you are willing to forgo eats, drink, and rest to wheel ... day or night.
... unless you are ready, game enough, and able to tackle the most difficult trails and obsticles.
... unless you are prepared to fix any breakdown on the trail ... and keep on going.
... and finally, unless you want to have the time of your life with the most pleasant and fun people you could ever ask for /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif!

Jeff & Kathy and their friends Michael & Lisa plus Ron (whose wife hid in the trailer) ... all rolled in to Moab from 'Vegas in the wee hours Saturday morning.
Newbie wife Jacque and I ran into the group at 10:00 AM the same morning as they were heading up the hill and we were making an Ice and Water trip down from the Sand Flats Recreation Area where we'd spent the night near the entrance of the Fins & Things trail (site # E-5) after having arrived there well after dark that same Friday evening.
H8's crew planed to stay through at least Tuesday and ours was planned to be a first time weekend jaunt to get our first taste of the area.
I'd promised Jacque we'd have fun camping, relaxing by a fire and do a "nice scenic, easy run" to give her a taste of what this rock crawling thing was all about, planning to doing the easier River then then Fins & Things runs.
But all those good intentioned plans went out the window as soon we all hooked up ... On to Hell's Revenge!
By night fall we'd conquered that "difficult" trail plus finishing off the evening "playing" at the infamous Potato Salid Hill and the Hump & Dump...
Jeff loosing a left front U-joint on the former and my grenading the same side of mine, including both yokes at the later near dusk.
I'm happy to report that I made to the top of the Hump & Dump despite the carnage as my yoke rings and joint let go on the last bad hop nearing the peak, which is the "no fee payment" short cut intersecting the already finished Hell's Revenge trail that usually starts just inside the Sand Flats Park area.
Time for my next upgrade /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif! Humm ... Warn or Moser shafts ????
Happily, 'The Princess' preformed suberbly, never needed to be winched, and was not only able to keep up, she made some of the most difficult challenges in the best time and with the most grace of the whole group! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Unfortunately my camera woman, being unused to my digi camera, was merely triggering the 'focus' step of the shutter button and never got a shot in twenty or so tries (she said)
... leaving us with only the few pics I took. My hands (one in a cast from the previous weekend San Juan river rafting trip) being full most of the time.
Sorry about that ... /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
You'll have to wait till Jeff returns with more pics (I hope) and maybe even a video or two taken by Michael.
So here's a few just to wet your appetites ... /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

On the top of Hell's Revenge

H8 tightening his pinon nut ... his idea of relaxation ...

Ron, Kathy and Jeff

Jeff stuck in a hard spot!

Michael making Potato Salad Hill with Ron looking on and Lisa on the video camera ... hard to beat those coils on that terrain!

Jeff breaking almost to the top of Potato Salad Hill - a really nasty climb!

After a great campfire breakfast Sunday morning (yes, Jacque got some camping in ...) we dropped by the 'Vegas group's RV site just in time to see that Jeff had a new U-Joint in and they were ready to go at it again ... this time to Pritchett's Canyon. Maybe we were lucky it was time for us to go home /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif!

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: Don\'t go wheeling with H8monday ...

Looks like a blast!!!

Gotta go run that one of these days..... /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·

When are you getting a hood? Do you need me to find you one?? Ahh.. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

78 CJ7 "Issues"

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Heh heh heh....John, didn't you KNOW from the post history on this BBS that H8 is NOT a NORMAL person? As in "Normally" goes wheeling; Normally works 8-5 at the same location for twelve years; Normally sits out breakdowns as an excuse to tip a few dozen cans of brewski; Normally feels as though he needs an air conditioned shop to work in.......well, you get the idea/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif The guy's not your everyday Freddy-across-the-street. H8 takes the same approach to everything he does.....all the way, no excuses, no waiting./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif It takes a pretty good moonguy to keep up./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gifI can't even IMAGINE what kind of person H8's Jeepchick must be. "Flexible-Adaptable" would be the minimum requirement and it would go on from there./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif That is one HECK of a YJ that H8 is sitting in!/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif And yeah, where is your HOOD?????/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

OK, Muddy and Dave, et al ...
It happened that I shot my whole rig, step by step from scratch, with my little DeVilbiss 'touch up' gun I'd bought years ago when I was shooting the long 'glass fusalages of RC competition aerobatic airplanes ... which I used to be heavily into ... before this Jeep phase ...
I've the original '83 hood all perfect in primer after having slaved away sanding out at least a dozen coats with tiny overlap sprays on this huge (for a touch up gun) surface.
I just needed a larger gun to do a good job of it ... and then I bought the '77 which has the windshield tie down post holes already drilled and a MUCH thicker steel skin to support the weight of the windsheld when it gets pushed and strapped down flat for slow and cool trail crawling.
So I hope you see that now I want to start from scratch with the older, sturdier CJ hood.
My present configeration doesen't hinder preformance ... actually it keeps the mill cooler ... it kind of has the look of a 50's hot rod ... and I'll work on and shoot the hood when I have time to work on it ... but sure as hell not now ... in the middle of summer fun !!! Nuff said...
... 'expept my current (just learning how not to break it again) Jeep driving style has already earned me the nickname 'Hot Rod John' /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif.
Chrome Molly axel shafts ... here I come! Just hide and watch! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

JAF

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Wow,
What a weekend,(errrr 7 days) of wheelin and playin and relaxin.
I just got in last night.
It was great getting to wheel with another BBS'r.
Jaffer's bug eyed CJ, worked flawlessy, untill he opted to forego Rons pleas to stay away from dump and bump, Hahahahah,(Ron prods everyone to push the limit, then usually says something like, "Hmmmm, you probably shouldnt have tried that",(after your broke). Jaffer sure has that enegine of his purring like a kitten, and it really jumps to life with a little pressure on the noisy pedal,(which was the difference between a successful climb and a rollover, on Bump and Dump, when his left front U joint let go.
Mikes 3 1/2" lifted TJ and his excelent driving skills, left those of us with our tall rigs, pondering our choice of set up, all day long, on the Hell Revenge trail.
But after a camp fabrication of a wrap bar(Saturday afternoon), and a new trail selection on Sunday (Prithert Canyon), we were able to recofirm our faith in long travel, high clearance, suspensions, and I can say I took a bit of satisfaction in finally having to put a hook on Mike's TJ to help his round boingered Jeep up to the top of "Rocker Knocker". That was about the only obstacle that denied him however.
Other than a broken U joint on the D44, and a head scratching electrical problem on Monday morning(EEC Power Relay problem),and a couple of front driveline spline seperations, everything worked well,(although 1st gear pops out of gear, occasionaly, if you dont pay attention to keep it shoved all the way in before starting a climb,... its kinda un-nerving).
We ran Hells Revenge, Prithchert Canyon, Cliff Hanger, Poison Spider, The Rim Trail, Behind the Rocks, and a bunch of others(night and day), but we did not get a local to give us directions to upper Proving grounds until the last day when he saw some of our videos. We will save it for the next trip.
I apologize to those who stopped by camp, for some trail talk, only to find me up to my eyebrows in grease, and unwilling to climb out from under the Jeep, I spent way more time fine tuning and repairing, than usual, but... I believe in fixing it at camp rather than on the traill, if at all possible.
Steve(sas87jy) where did you go? we never saw you again after Saturday afternoon.
Pics to follow soon(I need to search through several discs for the best photos).

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

G

·

dude that was one great trip for us all! sorry we didn't get to wheel together! 4 days just wasn't enough. we are thinking of returning 4th july for maybe 6 days. that's a long haul from tucson as well as vegas! took us 11 hours to get home tues. damn my a$$ hurt!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif moab is "jeep city" huh? i know it could get crazy there during an event. made a couple trips to the local "city market" and "subway" for dinner. camp along the river was nice- $10. no hook-ups but ok for tents.

steve

87yj,6cly,5spd,NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

WOW !
Great pix !
You folks are out of my league.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

WOW, beautifull scenery. Every pic of H8's rig that I see makes me want to build a rock crawler. My street/trail jeep will have to do for now. How heavy is your Jeep H8? It looks like about 4600#. Just wondering.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.

G

·

jaff/H8
thanks dudes thanks
that was amazing

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 83 CJ-7 /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM!

Quitcher Whinin' /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Gad, Steve-
You look like you found the coolest spot in Moab!
Jacque and I got pretty hot camping on the top side.
Where on the river was that ??? /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

Jeff-
Luckily I had a Scout II left axel that was a perfect match of the mangled one in the Currie built D44. I shoved it in and I'm ready to go at it again ...
Today I ordered a set of custom chrome molly shafts and a set of the new, improved Warn hubs from J. Peterson's here. Jim said he's already heard about my petal to the metal driving style from the other locals (just ask Brad) and all agreed I'd become a good axel customer /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif!
I do appreciate what you said about that situation being either to pour on the horsepower or roll over ...
That makes me feel a little better than thinking myself (as others might) as being reckless ... foolhardy not withstanding /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif!
See ya in Farmington.
September is scheduled to be an action packed month!
... till then, I'll practice driving the 'baby' or as Jacque calls her, "The Princess". Rightfully because my 'baby' has had the premo spot in our two car garage ... while I park out side ... year round /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif.

JAF

1 - 12 of 12 Posts