Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anywhere on the internet that tells which transmissions were used in which vehicles in specific years? For instance, I want to know what the 1970's chevy pickups used for 4 speed trannys. Also, I have a 1974 Ford pickup with 4 speed, I read in one place that most all fords used T18's but I think maybe mine is a NP435. I don't have any paperwork on my ford. I want a web site that tells me this info. I know Off-Road.com has a lot of tranny info but I want more. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know of any place on the internet with that info but i can tell you what I have read in my large library of magazines and books. You can tell if your Ford has a T-18 of NP 435 by the top inspection cover. The T-18 used a steel model whereas the NP used aluminum. A magnet should clear that one right up for you. Now for the Chevy's. From what I have read Chevy used the SM 420 until 72 when they switched to the new body style and then they went with the SM 465. Hope this helps.

Scott C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edd, the 70's Chevy pickups used an SM465. If your Ford shifts to the right and forward for reverse, it's a T18. To the right and back would make it a 435, or someone put in a later model T18. The 435 has an alluminum top cover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.