Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but I just put a SYE kit on my YJ and since I've noticed that the transfer case gets hot after driving a few miles. I never noticed if it did it before the SYE kit. I'm just concerned wheather the fluid is being pumped around correctly. It doesn't get hot enought to burn you just real warm.

Thanks,
Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jason,...

I have a 93 YJ as well with the NP231, While driving under normal conditions it gets very warm as well (which is nice in winter but not so good in summer :) ). I intend to install a SYE as well hope to get the whole kit from Tom Woods (including drive shaft). Did you get a CV or the "normal" shaft?

BlueJay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've noticed that mine gets warm, even after I changed the fluid to a semi-synthetic ATF. It's usually just warm enough to heat up the shifter stick to the point where it feels good on my cold fingers, but one (it was 114 degrees out), it was downright HOT. I'd be interested to know if this is "normal" too.

Marc
Contagious Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine gets hot too and I run fuul synthetic fluid in it. I think it is normal and might be related in a small part to the close proximity to the cat.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think getting warm is normal. In fact, once I drove it 100 miles in 4wd in a snow storm with no fluid in it (yes it was an accident, a seal blew) and it got so hot that it melted a bunch of stuff inside. That sucked.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SYE - Slip Yoke Eliminator....takes the NP231 from a slip yoke to a fixed yoke

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where does the travel come from? Is there a slip on the driveshaft itself?
Sorry for all questions, I'm really new at this stuff. I change the rear seal myself and I feel like i've reaaally accomplished something.

TXJeepr

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Between the transmission and the Transfer case, a lot of horsepower is "lost" or used. Now some of that horsepower is used to overcome the inertia of the gears/chain in starting and stopping, but the vast majority of the power usage is due to friction. The heat source is the friction between chain and sprocket, link of chain to link of chain, bearings, and gears. This friction produces heat that will transfer to cooler objects that come into contact with it. The shifter stick is one object that acts as a heat sink, so you feel some warmth.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes bluejay,
I got the CV type driveshaft from him. Tom is a great guy to deal with. But don't make the mistake that I did. Get the kit and install it, measure your driveshaft and then have him send it. I tried to get the kit and driveshaft at the same time and the driveshaft was too long.

Thanks,
Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my shaft has a 4" slip joint in it. Actually thats about all you have on a YJ is a Yoke welded to a CV joint, welded to a slip joint welded to a yoke. No room or need for any tubing. Ha Ha.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad to see my TC is normal. I was afraid maybe it wasn't lubricating.

Thanks,
Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.