Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Does anyone make a reciever hitch bumper for Older CJ5\'s??????

Dan
When I put the glass tub on my '71, the rear crossmember was shot. I removed all traces of it, cleaned up the frame ends, then got a piece of 4x4x1/4" square tube, 50 some inches long. Drilled the tube and bolted it to the frame ends (grade 8 bolts), then made some triangle shaped gussets out of 1/4" plate, about 6" on each side. Welded one side to the outside of each frame rail, other side to the square tube. This whole unit replaced the rear cross. I then bought a 2" receiver, bolted and welded it to the bottom of the square tube. Plenty strong enough. If you remove the rear cross, especially with tub off, the frame will spring a bit. Take measurements before removal and use a high-lift to hold it in place before welding.
Just another idea, FWIW.
HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Does anyone make a reciever hitch bumper for Older CJ5\'s??????

Dan
To follow up on my previous post, as to departure angle, I have dragged the hitch on occasion, but no big deal. If I was to do this job over, I would torch the square tube and recess the hitch, welding it to the bottom, front and back for strength. My spare carrier is a 2x2 square tube welded in to the top of the 4x4, about 24in tall or better (if you do this, drill a small drain hole in the 4x4 so water can't collect in the 2x2 which could freeze and bust the weld). To that I welded the old original side mount spare holder, the square box thing with 3 studs. Works great, but should have been 6 in higher, I have dragged the spare. This is a fixed mount, but OK since I have no tailgate.
Again, HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.