Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a reciever hitch bumper for Older CJ5\'s??????

I tried to get a reciever hitch from Conn-Ferr, but they don't make it anymore. Every catalog i looked at lists reciever hitchs/bumpers for later CJs only. Can anyone steer me to a company that can help me. I bought a military trailer that i am converting into a camper. Thanks for any help
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
Dan Stewart
1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

G

·
Re: Does anyone make a reciever hitch bumper for Older CJ5\'s??????

You can make one yourself pretty easy. If you don't weld, it can still be done easily and fairly cheaply with a good heavy piece of angle iron and a square tube. Will take a while to cut with a hack saw, but can be done if you have nothing better. Cut all pieces and parts then take it to a welding shop. The bumper can be attached to the rear cross member BUT you MUST attach it to the frame too. Cross member is not strong enough. If you are interested in doing this, I can make a quick drawing and e-mail it to you.
It really isn't a bad bumper - the angle iron - and gives you a good place to mount other stuff too.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·

Cross Enterprises makes a really nice receiver bumper that works on older CJ5's. I put one on my '75 along with Mike's tire carrier and it is a work of art. It's made with 3/16" thick material and the welds are ground so smooth that you can't tell where they are. I don't know for sure, but I believe that your rear crossmember and frame width is the same as my '75. Here's a link: http://www.4x4now.com/4wsfce1.htm

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

how much did the reciever bumper cost you? I have been thinking of a home made job, but i am worried about departure angles. If they make tire carriers for the bumper that would be good also, since i just put my spare in the rear of the jeep.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5
"Caloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
37 Posts

Dan
When I put the glass tub on my '71, the rear crossmember was shot. I removed all traces of it, cleaned up the frame ends, then got a piece of 4x4x1/4" square tube, 50 some inches long. Drilled the tube and bolted it to the frame ends (grade 8 bolts), then made some triangle shaped gussets out of 1/4" plate, about 6" on each side. Welded one side to the outside of each frame rail, other side to the square tube. This whole unit replaced the rear cross. I then bought a 2" receiver, bolted and welded it to the bottom of the square tube. Plenty strong enough. If you remove the rear cross, especially with tub off, the frame will spring a bit. Take measurements before removal and use a high-lift to hold it in place before welding.
Just another idea, FWIW.
HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

·
Registered
37 Posts

Dan
To follow up on my previous post, as to departure angle, I have dragged the hitch on occasion, but no big deal. If I was to do this job over, I would torch the square tube and recess the hitch, welding it to the bottom, front and back for strength. My spare carrier is a 2x2 square tube welded in to the top of the 4x4, about 24in tall or better (if you do this, drill a small drain hole in the 4x4 so water can't collect in the 2x2 which could freeze and bust the weld). To that I welded the old original side mount spare holder, the square box thing with 3 studs. Works great, but should have been 6 in higher, I have dragged the spare. This is a fixed mount, but OK since I have no tailgate.
Again, HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

G

·

Dan,
I am trying to remember how much that bumper was - around $239 I think. It's been about a year since I put it on and my receipt is at home. I do remember it was about half of what Currie wants for their setup and every bit as strong and attractive. Give Mike a call and he or his wife can give you the details. As far as the receiver dragging, it is higher than the old drawbar that was there before and I have only had it drag once while wheeling on Road 21 (if that means anything to you).

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I will probably remove the rear cross member. It is cracked right after the sping hanger mounts. The cracks are on the bottom only and the cross member still hangs on fine by the side bolts. I looked at the hitch that is on it already. I don't know if it is stock, but it is a heavy piece of angle iron. It bolts to the cross member with about 6 bolts. I looked from inside the frame at how to unbolt it, but the previous owner bent it the frame around the bolts. I don't know why but it is. A friend of mine has a torch and can weld lighter metal, but how much would a Master welder charge?? Where can i get the scrap? If you guys could send me a schematic, that would be great. I just put my lift on and it is time to go camping.
Thanks a million.
Dan Stewart
1963 CJ5
"Caloosa Jeepers" member

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.