Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a postal jeep with a dana 44? i think it has a 4 banger so the gears will be good, i am not sure on what gears they are. I am also getting a pair of scout axles so i will have two rear d44 but which is better the postal jeep someone told me that it is posi? is this true? also my friend told me that in the scout it has a posi unit but he is not positive. i would also think that the d44 out of the jeep is a little bit narrow, compared to the scout right?
any comments on this i will consider at this point i am up for suggestions!
thanks in advance
84 cj7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i just thought of one thing does the postal jeep have a 5 on 5.5 I am not sure, the postal jeep is stored on my farthers land and i am unable to get to take a look at it, and now i am anxious to know how the postal jeep axle would work,
one more thing is that the axles might be longer than the a cj because i tried using the windshield glass and it ended up being a longer piece of glass.
84cj7

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
i got a postal 44 in my cj2a (there are really,really cheap to buy) it is a true 44 with regular jeep bolt pattern. mine is from a 69 dj5a so it was an early model before tracloc. it has 3.73 gears

bad news: width is couple inches narrower than a regular 30 rear ( no problem cannot see it and rubber stays in fenders)

spring perches are wrong for cj but right for commando

center chunk is offset couple inches( need a tape to see) but this makes both axle interchangable due to same length.

I am very happy with mine. also the steering on postals are factory saginaws, 90% of the parts will bolt to cj2, even the front 2wd outer hubs are the same as older 4wd hubs(full time)
never models had disk, floor pan the same as cj2 with minor adjustment.

ever time I see one in a field I buy it.

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be very careful about which postal axles you use as there are different ones. Some are dead center and
use different axles right and left. Some are slightly offset with same length axles on both sides,(as was mentioned),
Some of the real late model ones use a 4 lug pattern. Best thing to do is get out the tape measure.
Many of them came with crap-locs (traclocs) and usually had around 3.73 gears. Normally you will
have to move spring pad and shock mounts unless using the postal frame. Good luck. Nickmil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well let me clarify this up some more, i already have the postal jeep it is late 70 earliy 80s. the trac locks that are in the axles are garbage? but i am planning on buying a scout with a d44 aanyways would anyone pick one over the other?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
hey brownbagg, my '78 postal dana 44 is the same width exactly as the Narrow Track AMC20 in the rear of my '81 CJ-8. (i measured is about 4 times and wasn't sure, so i measured outer edge of left tire to outer edge of right tire and then swapped the same wheels and tires onto the postal 44, same width exact.)
someone else mentioned something about2 different ones, (centered diff. and slighlty offset diff. --new one on me.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.